Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dola Woolfe <do...@yahoo.com> on 2005/01/23 16:07:21 UTC

What is it mean that "Java code does not belong in well designed JSP pages"?

I just read this thread and didn't quite understand
it. If it means what it seems to mean on the surface,
I'm doing everything wrong.

Schematically, my typical JSP page looks like the
following (basically 100% code). Is this what Craig is
advising against?

<%@ page errorPage="ErrorPage.jsp" import="html.*"%>
<%@include file="InitializePage.jsp"%>
<%
    Table table = new Table()
    .pAddH("#").pAddH("Action").pLN()
    .pAddC("1").pAddL(new Anchor("HelloPage.jsp", "Say
hello to my friend.")).pLN()
    .pAddC("2").pAddL(new Anchor("GoodByePage.jsp",
"Say good bye to my friend")).pLN()
;

    MyTemplate template = new MyTemplate ("Main
Actions", table);
    Page pAgE = new Page(new MyHead("Data Tools"), new
Body(template));
%>

<%= pAgE %>

Re: What is it mean that "Java code does not belong in well designed JSP pages"?

Posted by QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>.
I'm quite late to this thread, so I'll stick to answering the one
technical question:

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 12:03:36PM -0800, Dola Woolfe wrote:
: the code changes, the app needs to be restarted. The
: project I work with takes 2 min to start up so this is
: prohibitive

There's a "reloadable" attr on the Tomcat config's <Context> tag.  Set
this to "true" while you're in development mode to make the container
periodically check for changes in WEB-INF/classes and reload
accordingly.  It may also check under WEB-INF/lib, I don't recall...

:  Sometimes for development purposes I dumb
: it down so it takes 10 sec to start up but it is still
: a pain. Am I saying anything that indicates that I'm
: .doing things wrong?

"Wrong" is too strong a term here; but some would argue that you may not
have to tweak the servlets so much if you were to formally separate
calls to business logic (servlets, which require a container restart)
and formatting/presentation (JSPs, which are automatically rebuilt when
changed).

In my experience, the servlet layer is pretty thin and simple; it's
getting the final content *just right* that can require several edits to
a file.

I don't mean for this to sound flippant.  A lot of the good ideas and
best practices are based on starting an app from scratch.  When you're
migrating an existing app -- and in your case, across two servlet spec
revisions -- it can be tough.  You sometimes have to decide whether it's
worth a hefty refactoring effort or starting over from scratch.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com

Re: What is it mean that "Java code does not belong in well designed JSP pages"?

Posted by Dola Woolfe <do...@yahoo.com>.
Thank you for the useful responses.

I agree with the person (sorry, tough to both type and
look up names...) who said that I wrote enough code
for it to be a servlet. In fact, I would rather write
a servlet! This is because I prefer to work with
JBuilder and JBuilder does an OK job aligning and code
completing .java files (about 80% of what Emacs'
performance) and an outright lousy working with .jsp
pages.

But there are such tremendous barriers to entry with a
servlet. You need (or maybe things got better) to
modify web.xml and restart the app. Then every time
the code changes, the app needs to be restarted. The
project I work with takes 2 min to start up so this is
prohibitive. Sometimes for development purposes I dumb
it down so it takes 10 sec to start up but it is still
a pain. Am I saying anything that indicates that I'm
doing things wrong?

The one thing that I can't imagine being the right
thing to do (for me) is writing html code. Just
switching 2 rows in a table is enough to send me into
a panic. And you don't find out that you made a
mistake until you view the page. That's why I use an
html library with classes like Table, Page, Body,
Form.Button, Anchor, etc.

Again any comments? I truly enjoy reading the
dicussion that I started.

--- Parsons Technical Services

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.

Posted by Michael Echerer <me...@tngtech.com>.
> provides.  Some logic does belong in JSP.  However, the logic that
> appears within pages should be limited to display logic.  I've found
> that Struts and JSTL are a great combination to accomplish such
> separation.

IMHO this is basically the essence of "Java code does no belong in well
designed JSP pages"

Keep the MVC separation in order not to clutter your view (e.g. JSP)
with business logic. That can be achieved with various frameworks like
Struts. Whenever you "need" code, think of Struts Taglibs or JSTL first.
Usually this is sufficient for all the "legal code" in JSPs.
That is "display logic" like reformating values for displayment that
were calculated in your business logic elsewhere. E.g. iteration over
lists, colorize things, whatever. This will reduce your JSP's Java code
to "snippets" of just a few lines. Of course, with custom taglibs even
that could be reduced to zero, but that's usually not worth the effort
(if not reusable).

Or don't use JSP at all (but if so, bundle with Struts)... Tapestry is
also good to separate view and business logic, at least if you don't put
to much OGNL in your html templates ;-) That's as worse as too much Java
code and EL in JSPs.

Cheers,
Michael

Re: What is it mean that "Java code does not belong in well designed JSP pages"?

Posted by "Sean M. Duncan" <se...@ferrosoft.com>.
I work in a shop similar to the one you describe where individuals are
forced to fill multiple roles.  I'm called upon to implement everything
from domain models to navigation menus.  However, I find that keeping
the Java code that appears in JSP to a minimum helps in this situation
as well.  Although I am completely capable of wearing multiple hats, I
do feel that we all benefit from practices that limit the amount of time
we have to wear all those hats at once.  I would also argue the quality
of our work benefits from the increased level of focus such discipline
provides.  Some logic does belong in JSP.  However, the logic that
appears within pages should be limited to display logic.  I've found
that Struts and JSTL are a great combination to accomplish such
separation.

-Sean

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.

Posted by Dakota Jack <da...@gmail.com>.
<snip>
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 12:09:39 -0800 (PST), Dola Woolfe
<do...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On the subject of your hope that "this engenders a
> long" can the English be fixed in the subject before
> this is archived? It's embarrassing.
</snip>

Too late.  Don't worry about it.  What we type in here rarely has much
to do with our real understanding of English.  I don't bother to
change a lot and assume the regular corrections for others as well.

Jack

--
------------------------------

~Dakota Jack~

~Native Proverb~

"This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based
on this message or any information herein. If you have received this

Re: What is it mean that "Java code does not belong in well designed JSP pages"?

Posted by Dola Woolfe <do...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Dakota Jack <da...@gmail.com>.

------------------------------

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
David Johnson wrote:
> Using taglibs instead of code adds a level of obfuscation that, IMHO,
> makes it difficult to get work done.  I always end up taking the servlet
> that was generated from the JSP and rewriting it so it works correctly,
> performs adequately, and generates no side effects.

This has always been my biggest problems with taglibs too, that and the
fact that it's yet something else a new developer coming on to a project
has to learn before they can be effective (or at least optimally
effective).  I prefer all the code being right there in front of me, not
having to go hunt down source somewhere.

Additionally, I don't like having to recompile a class to make a change
and then redeploy the class (or worse yet, the whole app).  If it's just
in a JSP, I can update the app on-the-fly (assuming JSP compilation is
still active).

That being said, I actually like the idea of Tag Files.  It's not quite
as bad, it's no worse than a JSP include, although the point about more
to learn still stands.  But, then it's just usual JSP code, which they
would already know, so it's still not quite as bad in that regard
either.  It's kind of amazing that a lot of people don't even know about
that capability.

Like you said though, what works in one environment may not work in
another, and taking a hard stand either way is a bad idea.  Heck, I've
used taglibs on plenty of occasions and it's worked out beautifully.
Right tool for the job and all that jazz, right?!?

Posted by David Johnson <d_...@cox-internet.com>.
The intent of JSP is that it is primarily HTML with just enough Java to
make things work.  Ideally, you can hand a JSP to a web designer who is
not a programmer and they can make a pretty web page that works.  In
some shops this works.  As a productivity booster, this works in some
shops.  But in others it is a miserable failure.

With that being said, my _personal_ experience is that programming in
HTML tags is a pain in the <%taglib/>.

I don't have a problem learning another language to do a job - I
regularly use COBOL, Pascal, Java, and SQL in any single project.
Adding a JSP front end adds JavaScript, a couple of XML namespaces, and
HTML to the mix.

Using taglibs instead of code adds a level of obfuscation that, IMHO,
makes it difficult to get work done.  I always end up taking the servlet
that was generated from the JSP and rewriting it so it works correctly,
performs adequately, and generates no side effects.

This is a battle that will never be resolved because both sides are
right, depending on the circumstances.

JSP purists will shoot me, but I'll take plain old Java code over HTML
taglibs any day.  Write JSP's in accordance with your shop's standards
and make them work in the time allotted to the task.  Ultimately, your
company pays the bills, so whatever gives your shop the best
productivity is the "right" choice.

Posted by Dakota Jack <da...@gmail.com>.
> Debugging code in JSPs is very painful. Debugging tag libraries is the same
> as debugging any ordinary Java object.

I pretty much agree with everything Harry says and I do so "in spades"
as they say.  You can, as a tip, make debugging JSP easier by putting
the whole page in a try/catch exception trap.

Jack

--
------------------------------

Posted by Harry Mantheakis <ha...@mantheakis.freeserve.co.uk>.
> I just read this thread and didn't quite understand
> it. If it means what it seems to mean on the surface,
> I'm doing everything wrong.

I belong to the camp that thinks Java code in JSPs is evil. I happen to
think that tag libraries are wonderful.

JSPs are HTML documents that are empowered to retrieve information from Java
objects. At least that's how I think of them.

The focus in a JSP is HTML/CSS presentation and design - all the data should
be retrieved, validated and prepared for presentation before you call the
JSP.

If you work on a large, complex project, you must approach it that way.

If you're working on something simple, quick and dirty, then by all means do
all your coding in JSPs - that's what makes them cool.

Debugging code in JSPs is very painful. Debugging tag libraries is the same
as debugging any ordinary Java object.

HTH

Harry Mantheakis