Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by "Romanowski, Tim" <ti...@lmco.com> on 2006/05/24 16:34:00 UTC

[OT] Netbeans integration with MyFaces

After reading [1], I was still unable to get myfaces working on Netbeans
and am wondering if any users on this list are currently using NetBeans
5.5 with myfaces.  I'd like to update the wiki so I'll try to be
thorough:

I created a default JSF web application, then ran it.  Worked fine.  I
then followed the instructions in [1], but my JSF pages are throwing a
"java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException" in the browser when I try to
go from the welcome page (which is pure HTML) to a JSF page.  Looking at
the Sun AS 9 server logs, the exception came from
javax.faces.context.FacesContext.getELContext(FacesContext.java:138).
The IDE reports an error (I love red squiggly lines) when viewing the
JSF source page--it can't resolve the taglibs for
"http://java.sun.com/jsf/core" nor "http://java.sun.com/jsf/html".  So I
looked at the META-INF directory and verified that the myfaces_core.tld
and myfaces_html.dtd are there...and they are.  It looks like my issue
is a dependency conflict, but I'm not sure what else NetBeans loads that
is causing this problem.

I've added the tomahawk 1.1.3 and myfaces 1.1.4 jars, as well as the
following:

Commons-logging 1.0.4
Commons-fileupload 1.0
Commons-collections 3.1
Commons-digester 1.6
Commons-beanutils 1.7.0
Commons-codec 1.3
Commons-validator
Commons-el
Jakarta-oro
Log4j 1.2.8

In the "Project Configuration" section of [1], it states:
"1. Open the context menu of the project in NetBeans and choose
"Properties". Select "Libraries" and add a reference to the "MyFaces"
library you just created. Because myfaces-all.jar contains a complete
JSF implementation you need to uncheck the JSF 1.1 library . In
principle it should be possible to use the tomahawk.jar file in
combination with the JSF 1.1 library in Netbeans but I could not get it
to work."

In NetBeans 5.5, there doesn't appear to be a "checkbox" for
de-selecting the JSF 1.1 Library, but I did follow other notes on the
web and deleted "jsf-impl.jar" from the Sun Application Server lib
directory.

What is the bare minimum that must be done to convert the default JSF
webapp in netbeans to use myfaces?

[1]
http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/Getting_started_with_Netbeans_and_MyFaces

_____________________________________
Tim

Re: Netbeans integration with MyFaces

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
Matthias Wessendorf schrieb:
>> Sun AS + Myfaces is a huge problem
>> as of JEE5 the default implementation of the
>> jsf implementation is not overridable anymore within the WEB-INF/lib dir.
>
> I don't think that this is really a problem. It is convenience for the
> users!
> Like JSP- or Servlet-JARs not JSF jars needed for *deployment*
>
> switching inside of the container should be possible (and documented by
> vendors)

It should be possible yes, but as until now I do not have any
experiences with Glassfish (Sun app server 9) whether it is easily possible.
The problem is less the libs, but some parts of the admin console
already might rely on JSF 1.2 (which I doubt)

Re: Netbeans integration with MyFaces

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
Well suppose the RI had a crucial bug or performance issue with their
implementation and you wanted to or needed to use an alternate
implmentation.  Its happened before ...

Sean

Posted by Eric Hedström <er...@ucsd.edu>.

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 5/24/06, Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Note that making such a change today on Glassfish would turn it into a
> > non-JavaEE5 container, since MyFaces is a 1.1 implementation and the EE
> spec
> > requires JSF 1.2.
>
> Right.  But its lame that you can't easily switch to another
> implementation.  Lets pretend there is a MyFaces JSF 1.2 TCK compliant
> version today.  How does one switch implementations?  I doubt
> customers would see locking themselves into Sun's implementation for
> 100% of JEE services as an improvement.

Are you planning to switch the JSP page compiler?  Maybe the JMS engine?  Or
the JavaMail implementation?  :-)

It is reasonable for an open source app server to provide somewhat more
flexibility than a commerically packaged one (where commercial customers
***very*** much prefer to get all their technology from a single source, so
they can get support from that single source).  For Glassfish[1], you might
want to take a look at the Ant scripts for the JSF RI's[2] build system ...
it includes a gadget to build a "Glassfish Updater" that the RI folks used
to integrate new versions of the RI itself during development.  I'm sure the
Glassfish or RI folks would be happy to answer questions on their respective
mailing lists at java.net.

> Craig
>
> Sean

Craig

[1] https://glassfish.dev.java.net
[2] https://javaserverfaces-sources.dev.java.net

Re: Netbeans integration with MyFaces

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
> Note that making such a change today on Glassfish would turn it into a
> non-JavaEE5 container, since MyFaces is a 1.1 implementation and the EE spec
> requires JSF 1.2.

Right.  But its lame that you can't easily switch to another
implementation.  Lets pretend there is a MyFaces JSF 1.2 TCK compliant
version today.  How does one switch implementations?  I doubt
customers would see locking themselves into Sun's implementation for
100% of JEE services as an improvement.

> Craig

Sean

Re: Netbeans integration with MyFaces

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 5/24/06, Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> > Sun AS + Myfaces is a huge problem
> > as of JEE5 the default implementation of the
> > jsf implementation is not overridable anymore within the WEB-INF/lib
> dir.
>
> I don't think that this is really a problem. It is convenience for the
> users!
> Like JSP- or Servlet-JARs not JSF jars needed for *deployment*
>
> switching inside of the container should be possible (and documented by
> vendors)

Note that making such a change today on Glassfish would turn it into a
non-JavaEE5 container, since MyFaces is a 1.1 implementation and the EE spec
requires JSF 1.2.

-Matthias

Craig

Re: Netbeans integration with MyFaces

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

--
Matthias Wessendorf
Aechterhoek 18

Re: [OT] Netbeans integration with MyFaces

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.