Posted to user@roller.apache.org by Dan Foster <ro...@evilphb.org> on 2005/12/04 00:59:14 UTC

LDAP authentication possible?

Is it possible to make Roller authenticate users via LDAP for the
username and password information?

But continue to keep the authorization information local to the MySQL DB?

(Authorization = information about what resources the user is allowed to
access; e.g. which blogs, what permission, or site administration, etc.)

Just wondering because if it's possible to make Roller work with other
authenticators, then that might be a good way of 'selling' Roller use at
work.

Work is big enough that we rely on automated tools to purge LDAP upon
employee departure to instantly block access for dozens of applications
that keys off LDAP for authentication. Too big to do all that by hand. :)

I'm guessing I should be able to do that if I can define my own class
for authenticator.classname and extend
org.roller.presentation.DefaultAuthenticator or is there more to it?

-Dan

Re: LDAP authentication possible?

Posted by Dan Foster <ro...@evilphb.org>.
Hot Diggety! Jeffery Chilton was rumored to have written:

> I wrote a series of articles on all of my trials and tribulations trying to
> get everything working in WebSphere, which I eventually was able to do. You
> might find a little more detail in there:
>
> http://www.rollerweblogger.org/page/roller?entry=roller_adventures_in_websphere_country1

Interesting -- and most impressive. Thanks!!

(Congratulations, too. :) )

Posted by Jeffery Chilton <je...@ucdmc.ucdavis.edu>.
We use Roller 1.1 on WebSphere 6 with LDAP authentication via Active
Directory. I have tried it on versions after 1.1, but I assume the process
would be similar. Basically, I hacked it up so that the New User function
was secured, and I grabbed the user id from the Request object and passed
that in to the New User process as if the user typed it in on the screen.
Other than that, the process runs as it does out of the box.

I wrote a series of articles on all of my trials and tribulations trying to
get everything working in WebSphere, which I eventually was able to do. You
might find a little more detail in there:

http://www.rollerweblogger.org/page/roller?entry=roller_adventures_in_websphere_country1

             Dan Foster
             <roller-user@evil
             phb.org>                                                  To:
                                       roller-user@incubator.apache.org
             12/03/2005 03:59                                          cc:
             PM
                                                                  Subject:
                                       LDAP authentication possible?
             Please respond to