Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Hollerman Geralyn M <gm...@louisiana.edu> on 2004/09/01 21:07:01 UTC

SocketException

I am getting this error in catalina.out:

Sep 1, 2004 12:41:43 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread runIt
SEVERE: Remote Host /xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx SocketException: Invalid argument

(this is the entire message)

I am running Tomcat 5.0.16, going against a MySQL 4.0.17 database; JDK 1.4.2_05
is used on this Solaris 5.8 system. Apache (2.0.50) is used in a sort of
uncommon way: all it does is redirect requests (using mod_rewrite), as there are
at least 2 domain names that can be used to get to the same place - Tomcat is
ultimately all that is used.

Since the application I'm running is for students and the fall semester has
recently begun, the load has increased significantly in the past few weeks. I
have a development system, and I never see this error on there; I have only seen
it on our production system, in the past few weeks, under the higher load. I
*suspect* that the error is caused by some user action, as in pressing the
"Back" button or repeatedly clicking somewhere - my suspicion is based on the
fact that several of us in my building have tried to produce this error but are
unable to, but then again, we know what to expect, what to do, and what not to
do when it comes to this application!

Has anyone seen this? Any ideas?

Thanks!

--
Lynn Hollerman.

Re: SocketException

Posted by Hollerman Geralyn M <gm...@louisiana.edu>.
Hollerman Geralyn M wrote:
> I am getting this error in catalina.out:
>
> Sep 1, 2004 12:41:43 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread runIt
> SEVERE: Remote Host /xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx SocketException: Invalid argument
>
> (this is the entire message)
>
> I am running Tomcat 5.0.16, going against a MySQL 4.0.17 database; JDK
> 1.4.2_05 is used on this Solaris 5.8 system. Apache (2.0.50) is used in
> a sort of uncommon way: all it does is redirect requests (using
> mod_rewrite), as there are at least 2 domain names that can be used to
> get to the same place - Tomcat is ultimately all that is used.
>
> Since the application I'm running is for students and the fall semester
> has recently begun, the load has increased significantly in the past few
> weeks. I have a development system, and I never see this error on there;
> I have only seen it on our production system, in the past few weeks,
> under the higher load. I *suspect* that the error is caused by some user
> action, as in pressing the "Back" button or repeatedly clicking
> somewhere - my suspicion is based on the fact that several of us in my
> building have tried to produce this error but are unable to, but then
> again, we know what to expect, what to do, and what not to do when it
> comes to this application!

Some more info on this - I was looking around my logs files, and found that I
also saw this message in Tomcat 4.1.24, but there was a different, longer error
message:

java.net.SocketException: Invalid argument
         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketSetOption(Native Method)
         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.setOption(PlainSocketImpl.java:240)
         at java.net.Socket.setTcpNoDelay(Socket.java:771)
         at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.setSocketOptions(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:468)
         at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:564)
         at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:619)
         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

although, it appears that at the time this error message was generated, Tomcat
was throwing an OutofMemory error - I'm not sure if one had anything to do with
the other, but judging from the date on the log, that was an error we were
getting often at that time...

Hope this helps!

--
Lynn Hollerman.