Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Kamal Chandraprakash <ka...@gmail.com> on 2017/09/08 11:31:19 UTC

KTable-KTable Join Semantics on NULL Key

Hi Kafka Users,

    KTable-KTable Join Semantics is explained in detailed [here][1]. But,
it's not clear when the input record is <K:NULL>, some times the output
records are generated  and in some cases it's not.

It will be helpful, if someone explain on how the output records are
generated for all the 3 types of joins on receiving a record with NULL
value.

[1]: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/
Kafka+Streams+Join+Semantics#KafkaStreamsJoinSemantics-KTable-KTableJoin

-- Kamal

Re: KTable-KTable Join Semantics on NULL Key

Posted by Michael Noll <mi...@confluent.io>.
Perhaps a clarification to what Damian said:

It is shown in the (HTML) table at the link you shared [1] what happens
when you get null values for a key.

We also have slightly better join documentation at [2], the content/text of
which we are currently migrating over to the official Apache Kafka
documentation for the Streams API (under
kafka.apache.org/documentation/streams).

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Kafka+Streams+Join+Semantics#KafkaStreamsJoinSemantics-KTable-KTableJoin
[2]
https://docs.confluent.io/current/streams/developer-guide.html#kstream-kstream-join