Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> on 2021/09/23 14:51:07 UTC

Problems with PIP ID Management

Hello,
Today I had to rename my PIP from PIP-93 to PIP-95 because PIP-93 was
picked up.
Then I realised that PIP95 already exists on GitHub, then I moved to PIP-97.

There are multiple PIP-95 on the Wiki page.

https://github.com/apache/pulsar/wiki

We need a way to assign new PIP ids

What about sending an email to dev in order to ask for a new PIP id ?

Only committers have write privileges to the Wiki pages, so any PIP id
assignment needs a sponsor that assigns the PIP id and creates the wiki
page.

I propose to add a link to the PIP issue in the wiki page until the PIP is
accepted,
because we recently decided to run PIP discussions as GH issues

Does anyone volunteer to clean up the PIP list page ?

Regards
Enrico

Re: Problems with PIP ID Management

Posted by Michael Marshall <mi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your feedback Enrico.

I'd appreciate any other thoughts on this process since I am proposing
a change to a recently implemented PIP.

Also, if we like this new direction, I think we should update our
GitHub issue template to communicate this new process. I already have
a PR for my proposed changes:
https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/12176. Please take a look, if
you're able.

Thanks,
Michael

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Michael,

Posted by Eron Wright <ew...@streamnative.io.INVALID>.
It is funny that we have four unrelated PIP-95 proposals.  By the above
principle, the true PIP 95 is "Smart Listener Selection with Multiple Bind
Addresses".  :)

Posted by Michael Marshall <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Enrico,