Posted to user@drill.apache.org by Anup Tiwari <an...@games24x7.com> on 2018/03/16 14:40:33 UTC

Re: [Drill 1.9.0] : [CONNECTION ERROR] :- (user client) closed unexpectedly. Drillbit down?

Hi All,
I was just going through this post and found very good suggestions.
But this issue is still there in Drill 1.12.0 and i can see
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DRILL-4708 is now marked as resolved in
"1.13.0" so i am hoping that this will be fixed in drill 1.13.0.
Few things i want to ask :-
- Any Planned date for Drill 1.13.0 release?
- If i have to apply hack suggested by Francois(till Drill-4708 gets released)
which is
org.apache.drill.exec.work.foreman
QueryManager.java
private void drillbitUnregistered(.....)
if (atLeastOneFailure)
-> just log the error, do not cancel query.

Then should i have to just comment below line from code and rebuild drill from
source :-
if (atLeastOneFailure) {        logger.warn("Drillbits [{}] no longer registered
in cluster. Canceling query {}",            failedNodeList,
QueryIdHelper.getQueryId(queryId));foreman.addToEventQueue(QueryState.FAILED,
            new ForemanException(String.format("One more more nodes lost
connectivity during query. Identified nodes were [%s].",
                failedNodeList)));
I haven't done something like above before so i might not be making sense also
it might impact somewhere else so please suggest a path forward.

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 8:15 PM, François Méthot fmethot78@gmail.com  wrote:
Hi,

  We have been having client-foreman connection and ZkConnection issue few

months ago. It went from annoying to a show stopper when we moved from a 12

nodes cluster to a 220 nodes cluster.

Nodes specs

- 8 cores total (2 x E5620)

- 72 GB RAM Total

- Other applications share the same hardware.

~ 100 TB parquet data on hdfs.

Based on our observation we have done few months ago, we ended up with

those setting/guideline/changes:

- Memory Setting

  DRILL_MAX_DIRECT_MEMORY="20G"

  DRILL_HEAP="8G"

  Remaining RAM is for other applications

- Threading

  planner.width.max_per_node = 4

  We think that higher number of threads will generate network traffic or

more context switch on each node, leading to more chances of getting Zk

disconnection.

  But we observed that even with max_per_node of 1, we would still get

disconnection. We had no clear indication from Cloudera Manager that

Mem/CPU/Network is overloaded on faulty node. Although on very rare

occasion we would get no stats data at all from certain node.

- Affinity Factor

  We change the affinity factor from default to a big value.

  planner.affinity_factor = 1000.0

  This improved issue with some drillbit of our cluster scanning data

stored on remote nodes. It somehow maximizes the chances of a drillbit

reading local data. When drillbits only scan local data, it reduces the

amount of network traffic, It accelerate queries and reduce the chance of

ZkDisconnect.

- If using hdfs, make sure each data file is stored on 1 block

- Try more recent 1.8 JVM or switch to JVM 1.7

  We have had CLIENT to FOREMAN disconnection issue with certain version

of JVM (linux, windows, mac). (we sent an email about this to the dev

mailing list in the past)

- Query Pattern

  The more fields are getting selected (select * vs select few specific

field) the more chance we will get the error. More data selected means more

cpu/network activity leading to more chances of Zookeeper skipping a

heartbeat.

- Foreman QueryManager Resilience Hack

When a query would fail, our log indicated that a drillbit was getting

unregistered and then get registed again a short time after (few ms to few

seconds), but the foreman QueryManager would catch the

"drillbitUnregistered" event and fail the queries right away. As a test, we

changed the QueryManager to not fail queries when a drillbit is getting

unregistered. We have put this change in place in 1.8 and our log now

indicates Zk Disconnect-Reconnect while query keeps running, so we kept

that test code in. A query will now fail only if the drillbit lose

connection with other drillbit (through the RPC bus) at some point. We have

since move to 1.9 with that change as well. I haven't had chance to try

back without the hack in 1.9.

org.apache.drill.exec.work.foreman

  QueryManager.java

  private void drillbitUnregistered(.....)

  if (atLeastOneFailure)

  -> just log the error, do not cancel query.

our query success rate went from <50% to >95% with all the changes above.

We hope to get rid of the hack when an official fix is available.

To cover the missing 5% error (any other type of errors), we advise users

to try again. We also have built-in retry strategy implemented in our

hourly python scripts that aggregates data.

Hope it helps

Francois

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 2:31 PM, Anup Tiwari <an...@games24x7.com>

Regards,
Anup Tiwari

Re: [Drill 1.9.0] : [CONNECTION ERROR] :- (user client) closed unexpectedly. Drillbit down?

Posted by Anup Tiwari <an...@games24x7.com>.
Thanks.. will upgrade to 1.13.0 and let you know.

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 11:08 AM, Parth Chandra parthc@apache.org  wrote:
Hi Anup,

  I don't have full context for the proposed hack, and it might have worked,

but looks like Vlad has addressed the issue in the right place. Perhaps you

can try out 1.13.0 and let us all know.

Thanks

Parth

On Sat, Mar 17, 2018 at 11:43 AM, Anup Tiwari <an...@games24x7.com>

wrote:

> Thanks Parth for Info. I am really looking forward to it.

> But can you tell me if the second part(about hack) was right or not?

> Because i

> really want to test it as we got this issue several time in last 2-3 days

> post

> upgrading to 1.12.0.

> Also i have seen sometimes after lost connection , drillbit gets killed on

> few/all nodes and i am not getting any logs in drillbit.out/drillbit.log.

> On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 11:07 PM, Parth Chandra parthc@apache.org wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 8:10 PM, Anup Tiwari <an...@games24x7.com>

> wrote:

> Hi All,

> I was just going through this post and found very good suggestions.

> But this issue is still there in Drill 1.12.0 and i can see

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DRILL-4708 is now marked as

> resolved in

> "1.13.0" so i am hoping that this will be fixed in drill 1.13.0.

> Few things i want to ask :-

> - Any Planned date for Drill 1.13.0 release?

> Real Soon Now. :)

> The release will be out in a couple of days. Watch this list for an

> announcement.

> Regards,

> Anup Tiwari

Regards,
Anup Tiwari

Re: [Drill 1.9.0] : [CONNECTION ERROR] :- (user client) closed unexpectedly. Drillbit down?

Posted by Parth Chandra <pa...@apache.org>.
Hi Anup,

Posted by Anup Tiwari <an...@games24x7.com>.

Posted by Parth Chandra <pa...@apache.org>.