Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/25 18:29:52 UTC

Is there any way to partially process HDFS edits?

I have an edits file on my namenode that is 35GB. This is quite a bit
larger than it should be (the secondary namenode wasn't running for some
time, and HBASE-9648 caused a huge number of additional edits).

The first time I tried to start the namenode, it chewed on the edits for
about 4 hours and then ran out of memory. I have increased the memory
available to the namenode (was 512MB, now 2GB), and started the process
again.

Is there any way that the edits file can be partially processed to avoid
having to re-process the same edits over and over until I can allocate
enough memory for it to be done in one shot?

How long should it take (hours? days?) to process an edits file of that
size?

Any help is appreciated!

--Tom

Re: Is there any way to partially process HDFS edits?

Posted by Jens Scheidtmann <je...@gmail.com>.
Tom,

I would file a jira, if I were you and my Hadoop Version was recent
enough.  Should be pretty easy to reproduce.

Jens

Posted by Jens Scheidtmann <je...@gmail.com>.
Tom,

Posted by Jens Scheidtmann <je...@gmail.com>.
Tom,

Posted by Jens Scheidtmann <je...@gmail.com>.
Tom,

Posted by Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Tom,

--
Harsh J

Re: Is there any way to partially process HDFS edits?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Tom,

--
Harsh J

Re: Is there any way to partially process HDFS edits?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Tom,

--
Harsh J

Re: Is there any way to partially process HDFS edits?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Tom,

--
Harsh J

Re: Is there any way to partially process HDFS edits?

Posted by Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Is there any way to partially process HDFS edits?

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Is there any way to partially process HDFS edits?

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Is there any way to partially process HDFS edits?

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Is there any way to partially process HDFS edits?

Posted by Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com>.
Shashwat,

When you say "manual checkpointing", are you talking about a specific
process? Or are you just recommending that I run the secondarynamenode to
prevent this situation in the first place?

--Tom

Posted by Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com>.
Shashwat,

Posted by Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com>.
Shashwat,

Posted by Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com>.
Shashwat,

Posted by shashwat shriparv <dw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by shashwat shriparv <dw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by shashwat shriparv <dw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by shashwat shriparv <dw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Tom,

--
Harsh J

Re: Is there any way to partially process HDFS edits?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Tom,

--
Harsh J

Re: Is there any way to partially process HDFS edits?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Tom,

--
Harsh J

Re: Is there any way to partially process HDFS edits?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Tom,

--
Harsh J

Re: Is there any way to partially process HDFS edits?

Posted by Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com>.