Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by 苗海泉 <ms...@gmail.com> on 2018/03/10 05:52:00 UTC

The Impact of the Number of Collections on Indexing Performance in Solr 6.0

hello,We found a problem. In solr 6.0, the indexing speed of solr is
influenced by the number of solr collections. The speed is normal before
the limit is reached. If the limit is reached, the indexing speed will
decrease by 50 times.

In our environment, there are 49 solr nodes. If each collection has 25
shards, you can maintain high-speed indexing until the total number of
collections is about 900. To reduce the number of collections to the limit,
the speed will increase. Go up.
If each collection is 49 shards, the total number of collections can only
be about 700, exceeding this value will cause the index to drop
dramatically.
In the explanation, we are single copies, and multiple copies will cause
serious stability problems in the large solr cluster environment.

At first I suspect that it was due to too many thread submissions, and
there are still problems with this method, so I'm inclined to
searcherExecutor thread pool thread. This is just my guess, I want to know
the real reason. Can someone know if I can help?

Also, I noticed that the searcherExecutor thread and solr collection's
shards basically correspond to each other. How can I reduce the number of
threads or even close it? Although there are many collections in our
environment, there are few queries and it is not necessary to keep the
threads open to provide queries. This is too wasteful.

thank you .

Re: The Impact of the Number of Collections on Indexing Performance in Solr 6.0

Posted by spoonerk <jo...@gmail.com>.
I have tried emailing to.unsubscribe.  I have tried disrupting threads
hoping to anger the admin into getting me out of the spam list.  All I get
is arrogant emails about headers

Posted by 苗海泉 <ms...@gmail.com>.

--
==============================
联创科技

Re: The Impact of the Number of Collections on Indexing Performance in Solr 6.0

Posted by spoonerk <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Spoonerk:

Posted by spoonerk <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <el...@elyograg.org>.
On 3/10/2018 9:44 AM, Erick Erickson wrote:
> There are quite a number of reasons you may be seeing this, all having
> to do with trying to put too much stuff in too little hardware.
<snip>
> At any rate, there's no a-priori limit to the number of
> collections/replicas/whatever that Solr can deal with, the limits are
> your hardware.

Big +1 to everything Erick said.  I was working on a response, but I
think the things that Erick said are better than what I was writing.  I
did want to add a little bit of detail, though.

Let me throw some numbers at you:

With 900 collections that have 25 shards, the SolrCloud cluster is
handling 22500 individual indexes -- and that's for only one replica.
If I assume that you've only got one copy of all that data in Solr, then
every one of those 49 servers will average over 450 index cores!  If you
planned for redundancy and replicationFactor is 2, then each server will
have over 900 index cores on it (45000 total indexes).

The index count numbers on each server might look like small numbers to
you ... but when you start understanding some of what Solr and Lucene
are doing under the covers, you start to realize that these numbers are
quite large.

If there's even a hint of significant index/query traffic going to those
collections, then those servers are going to be hard-pressed to keep up,
unless you've spent a LOT more money for hardware than what I see in a
typical server.

Have you ever heard of a phenomenon known as a performance knee? The
following link should open up to page 482 of the associated book.
Scroll up to page 481 and reading the two sections named "Hardware
Resource Requirements" and "Peak Load Behavior".  Your reading would end
partway through page 482.

https://books.google.com/books?id=ka4QO9kXQFUC&pg=PA482&lpg=PA482&dq=performance+knee+scalability+graph&source=bl&ots=ytNn04PMU8&sig=r8GAGLIaT4mDwjCjYs_waQJbqo8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjH6bSdq-HZAhUJslMKHeQhALQQ6AEINDAB#v=onepage&q=performance%20knee%20scalability%20graph&f=false

A common tendency in the performance of computer systems/software is
that they show an increase in response time that's more or less linear
with load increases, until the system reaches a breaking point where the
smallest increase in load causes an incredibly large increase in
response times.  That can lead to an outage situation where things take
so long that clients give up and go to an error state.

FYI: You're running a "dot zero" release.  6.0 is the first release
where MAJOR development changes had been accumulating that weren't in
5.x versions.  The 6.x timeframe was an absolute hotbed of innovation on
SolrCloud.

There are typically more bugs in a .0 release than later minor
releases.  If there are reasons for you to avoid running 7.x releases,
then you should upgrade to the latest 6.x.  Right now this is 6.6.2, but
we are in the middle of the 6.6.3 release right now, and that is likely
to be announced any day now.

SolrCloud does not handle large numbers of collections very well,
especially if the shard and/or replica counts are high for each
collection.  Up to a point, throwing a LOT of hardware at the problem
helps, but there are scalability issues related to the way SolrCloud
uses the ZooKeeper database.  Eventually it just can't handle it.  See
this issue for some experiments that I conducted on the problem:

Shawn

Re: The Impact of the Number of Collections on Indexing Performance in Solr 6.0

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
There are quite a number of reasons you may be seeing this, all having
to do with trying to put too much stuff in too little hardware.

Yes, an increasing number of collections will spin up an increasing
number of threads. Also your Jetty container has a limited thread pool
may be a factor. Or you may simply be starting to swap memory on/off
disk. Or you're hitting GC pauses. Or..... Given your statement that
speed decreases 50x, my suspicion is disk swapping, but that's a total
guess.

The key here is that you are hosting N replicas per JVM, and (maybe) M
JVMs per physical machine. It's unreasonable to assume that you can
keep adding more and more and more collections/replicas per JVM and
not eventually hit the limits of your hardware. And you mention that
indexing slows down, which leads me to assume that you're adding more
and more docs to each of these collections. This will eventually
simply blow up.

Here's a long blog on the topic:
https://lucidworks.com/2012/07/23/sizing-hardware-in-the-abstract-why-we-dont-have-a-definitive-answer/

There are two options that spring to mind:
1> get more hardware and distribute the replicas over more hardware
2> consider combining collections. So instead of having one collection
per user, say, have many users in the same collection and keep them
from seeing each other's data by adding the appropriate "fq" clause.