Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Parmley, Scott C." <sp...@petroleumplace.com> on 2001/12/11 22:05:52 UTC

Servlets and memory usage.

Hello everyone.

I've run into a big problem with memory usage in servlets, and I want to
get some opinnions on this.
Here is the scenerio:

I am running tomcat 4.0.1 on both linux and windoze 2000.

I am using Singleton-Labs' MonarchCharts API to render a nice PNG chart
which is then served back to a JSP page making a URL request.
Everything works fine, except if you look at memory utilization (on both
platforms) it acts as though the image objects are never being cleaned
up.  Memory usage keeps growing and growing, until java exceeds its heap
size.

I am pretty festidious when implementing these chart objects and trying
to clean up after myself, but to no avail.  I also have not ruled out it
could be the MonarchCharts APIs that are causing it.  Has anyone run
into a similar issue like this?  Is there a way to schedule servlet
memory to be garbage collected sooner?

Hope this isn't too silly a question.

Thanks in advance,
-Scott