Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/05 23:40:23 UTC

Possible alternative source of JSON

http://wiki.fasterxml.com/JacksonInFiveMinutes

It looks to me as if a Jackson 'provider' would be a pretty straightforward
construction. To be clear, there's be no CXF DataBinding in the process at
all. Jackson maps pojos to JSON and vica versa.

The plus side of this is that it would yield, if successful, 'natural' json,
unencrusted with namespace glop, in both directions.

The minus side of this would be that it doesn't help those people who want a
JSON JAX-RS endpoint as a sort of instant side-effect of their preexisting
stack of JAXB @nnotations or Aegis XML files or whatever.

Personally, I think that I'd be coding something a whole lot more useful by
adding this than by putting more lipstick on the pig of producing and
consuming extremely ugly JSON via Aegis.

Admittedly, 'unqualified' Aegis would be helpful, but if Jackson already
does the job, why do all that work?

Not to mention the fact that Tatu is likely to prove responsive in case of
need.

Re: Possible alternative source of JSON

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
I'm going to start an omnibus thread.

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@progress.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Sergey,

I think it is important that we work toward a clearly stated goal here. You
originally recruited me to plug in Aegis to JAX-RS because, as I recall, the
DOSGi people wanted a way to use JAX-RS without the burden of JAX-B and
other related components.

Now, on the one hand, Aegis+Jettison produces very ugly JSON, and we do not
have any design at hand to support a read side without making even uglier
demands on the producers of the JSON we would read. It doesn't produce such
beautiful XML, either.

On the other hand, the Jackson components are small and produce clean JSON,
and if Tatu hasn't packed them up as OSGI bundles yet, I'm sure he will.
Heck, I'd rather spend time on that with him that adding more lipstick to a
distinctively porcine combination of Aegis and Jettison.

If I've misremembered or mistated the goal here, please correct me.

--benson

Re: Possible alternative source of JSON

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
They don't have to wrap it. There's a full JAX-RS 1.0 provider provided. I
added a test for our cooperation with it to the systests.

Why don't we just endorse it over our on JSON provider? It makes cleaner
JSON, and is smaller, lighter, faster and more flexible.