Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Senhaji <os...@wanadoo.fr> on 2002/11/17 17:12:53 UTC

XMLForm UI Builder

Hello,

I've just finished playing with the XMLForm wizard example. I've learned a
lot of good concepts such as the separation between the content, the
presentation and the validation in the form building process. After that, I
started looking for an XMLForm builder that would help me speed up the form
building process. But without success! How can I explain to the management
that even building a simple Form with C2 will take ~3 days of development?
not easy -).

It could be very nice if from a form builder one can generate all the
necessary files for C2 (JavaBeans, XSL for transforming XMLForm widget to
HTML or whatever widget, XSL for the form layout, XML schema for
validation,...).

Are there any works in this area ?

Thanks in advance,

Senhaji

RE: XMLForm UI Builder

Posted by Senhaji <os...@wanadoo.fr>.
Thanks Ivelin.

There is no current work on a XMLForm builder, to my knowledge.

But you are welcome to pitch in if you want.

Ivelin

Re: XMLForm UI Builder

Posted by Ivelin Ivanov <iv...@apache.org>.

Re: XMLForm UI Builder

Posted by Scott Warren <sc...@froggy.com.au>.
I sent an example recently.  Unfortunately I am a little snowed under at
the moment. I will get an example soon .. Promise

Take Care

Scott Warren

Re: XMLForm UI Builder

Posted by Ivelin Ivanov <iv...@apache.org>.
Interesting approach.

Can you share an example?

Ivelin

RE: XMLForm UI Builder

Posted by Senhaji <os...@wanadoo.fr>.
Thank you guys. I'll get a look to the XYbrix tool.
Scott, your approach sounds good too. I'll appreciate a lot if you can drop
me your ANT generation script to save me time and money -)

Regards,

Senhaji

Envoye : dimanche 17 novembre 2002 23:49
A : cocoon-users@xml.apache.org

I've been using XYbrix (http://www.jbrix.org/kits/xybrix/overview.html)
to edit xml files for some time and find it quite easy to use.
IIUC it uses xforms stuff to make the forms, and it's all GUI.
The license is apache compatible, so maybe it could help.

my 2c

Scott Warren wrote:
> Senhaji,
>
> An easy way that I have achieved this is to generate an XML document
> that has all the information (Java Bean properties + code, Form Elements
> etc) then I created a number of XSL Documents that take the XML doc and
> produce the JavaBean code, XMLForm.XSP, Validation Descriptor.XML etc.
> Then all you need to do is change the layout of the XMLForm as
> needed...... I use Ant to generate the files from the XML but you can
> use a Cocoon pipleine to generate the files.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Scott Warren
>
> Senhaji wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've just finished playing with the XMLForm wizard example. I've
>> learned a
>> lot of good concepts such as the separation between the content, the
>> presentation and the validation in the form building process. After
>> that, I
>> started looking for an XMLForm builder that would help me speed up the
>> form
>> building process. But without success! How can I explain to the
>> management
>> that even building a simple Form with C2 will take ~3 days of
>> development?
>> not easy -).
>>
>> It could be very nice if from a form builder one can generate all the
>> necessary files for C2 (JavaBeans, XSL for transforming XMLForm widget to
>> HTML or whatever widget, XSL for the form layout, XML schema for
>> validation,...).
>>
>> Are there any works in this area ?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Senhaji

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: XMLForm UI Builder

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Re: XMLForm UI Builder

Posted by Scott Warren <sc...@froggy.com.au>.
I would like to be able to send you the stuff but I cannot as it's all
overly complex for just an example (When I say complex I mean it uses a
lot of my own logicsheets).

The idea was basically to have 1 document (XML) and generate all the
information from that. I have attached a sample document (example.xmb).
Using the style sheet (databeans.xsl) you can create a .java file which
can be compiled into a Bean. If you included in the example.xmb the
information needed to generate a generic XMLForm and Validator then you
would on your way.

Then all you need is an Ant Script with an action like this
out="./apps/example.java" style="./databeans.xsl" />

out="./apps/example_desc.xml" style="./validation.xsl" />
out="./apps/example_form.xsp" style="./form.xsl" />

I hope this helps. I know the description is not very completed and the
example files don't all match up but hopfully you get the idea

Regards

Scott Warren

Re: XMLForm UI Builder

Posted by Scott Warren <sc...@froggy.com.au>.