Posted to user@struts.apache.org by tek1 <te...@pobox.com> on 2003/04/23 04:48:42 UTC

lots of static content, a little dynamic -> struts design?

If one has a site with a lot of static content and a few parts that need to
be dynamic, and both need to follow the same (Dreamweaver) templates, what
is the best design strategy?

Strategies considered:

1.  Isolating Dynamic (Struts) Part

I initially considered isolating the dynamic (struts) part completely from
the static part, but realized that dynamic part depends on images and
(Dreamweaver) templates that were defined initially for the static part.
Isolating the dynamic part would require copying over images in the Struts
webapp and breaking the contract with the template for the rest of the site...

2.  WebApp = Static + Dynamic

I also considered just placing everything under the Struts webapp to allow
both the dynamic and static content to share the same images and templates.
However, I am hesitant because the static content doesn't need Struts and
it seems that static content is always best served by the regular web
server.  If placing everything under the webapp, if a user makes a request
for xyz.html, will the page be returned, or do the references to the static
content also need to be referenced via *.do?

Thank you.