Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au> on 2007/05/01 14:55:11 UTC

Some quick things to tidy up before a 2.3.3-rc1

I just had a brief chat with a couple of our fellow Turbiners who were
sitting together at ApacheCon.eu - present were Thomas, Henning and myself.

We discussed that we believe needs to be done for a 2.3.3-rc1 - here is
what we came up with (in no particular order):

    * Delete the classes I noted in my recent post
    * Deprecate ScheduleService for reasons stated earlier.
    * Update to Velocity 1.5 (perhaps with one or two dependencies)
    * Delete the additional list of packages that Thomas posted a short
      time ago
    * Delete the ComponentService (and remove the Stratum dependency) -
      the AvalonComponentService and ACSYaafiComponentService can be
      used instead instead.  Obviously this needs to be highlighted in
      the release notes.
    * Update to a dated snapshot of Torque 3.3-rc3 with a caveat that
      turbine-2.3.3 final will not be released until torque -3.3 final
      has been released.
    * CodeWrestle the necessary license changes into the 2.3 branch

Since the chat ended I have also remembered that we also wanted to put a
Maven 2 POM together.  I don't think this needs to be totally connected
to 2.3.3-rc1, but it should be done and tested in advance of 2.3.3 final.

If anyone has anything else to add, please speak now.  If those present
at the AC.eu Hackathon (Thomas, Henning and perhaps Juergen later in the
week) can chew through a bunch of these it would be really great.  I
believe Siegfried is also attending, but I imagine his focus will be on
Yaafi (let's CodeWrestle that too if possible).

Scott

Re: Some quick things to tidy up before a 2.3.3-rc1

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
Scott Eade wrote:
> Thomas Vandahl wrote:
>> Intermediate Status report:
>>
>> Scott Eade wrote:
>>
>>>    * Deprecate ScheduleService for reasons stated earlier.
>>>
>> Scott: Would you please be so kind as to look over the documentation of
>> the fulcrum-quartz component, so that the transition is a bit easier?
>>
> I agree that the fulcrum-quartz documentation is a little light.
BTW: I don't see this as a show stopper for deprecating ScheduleService
in 2.3.3-rc1 - I will get to it, but possibly not before 2.3.3 final is
released.

I would also be keen on seeing a couple of paragraphs from you on your
Intake localization enhancements.

We will also have to put some release notes together - xdoc would be
nice but wiki is fine too.

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
Thomas Vandahl wrote:
> Intermediate Status report:
>
> Scott Eade wrote:
>
>>    * Deprecate ScheduleService for reasons stated earlier.
>>
> Scott: Would you please be so kind as to look over the documentation of
> the fulcrum-quartz component, so that the transition is a bit easier?

I agree that the fulcrum-quartz documentation is a little light.
>>    * Update to Velocity 1.5 (perhaps with one or two dependencies)
>>
> This needs to be synchronized with the Torque stuff, I found. Work in
> progress.

Okay.
>>    * Delete the ComponentService (and remove the Stratum dependency) -
>>      the AvalonComponentService and ACSYaafiComponentService can be
>>      used instead instead.  Obviously this needs to be highlighted in
>>      the release notes.
>>
> Done. Documentation needs to be adjusted/removed.

Done.
>>    * Update to a dated snapshot of Torque 3.3-rc3 with a caveat that
>>      turbine-2.3.3 final will not be released until torque -3.3 final
>>      has been released.
>>
> This probably needs a number of steps. Work in progress. Updated to
> Torque 3.2 already.

Okay.
> More:
> - Compiled a list of further candidates for removal. Needs to be reviewed.

See my response.

Excellent progress Thomas!

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.

Scott Eade wrote:
>    * Delete the classes I noted in my recent post
Done for the first part, see the list of my further candidates in the list.

>    * Deprecate ScheduleService for reasons stated earlier.
Scott: Would you please be so kind as to look over the documentation of
the fulcrum-quartz component, so that the transition is a bit easier?

>    * Update to Velocity 1.5 (perhaps with one or two dependencies)
This needs to be synchronized with the Torque stuff, I found. Work in
progress.

>    * Delete the additional list of packages that Thomas posted a short
>      time ago
Done.

>    * Delete the ComponentService (and remove the Stratum dependency) -
>      the AvalonComponentService and ACSYaafiComponentService can be
>      used instead instead.  Obviously this needs to be highlighted in
>      the release notes.
Done. Documentation needs to be adjusted/removed.

>    * Update to a dated snapshot of Torque 3.3-rc3 with a caveat that
>      turbine-2.3.3 final will not be released until torque -3.3 final
>      has been released.
This probably needs a number of steps. Work in progress. Updated to
Torque 3.2 already.

>    * CodeWrestle the necessary license changes into the 2.3 branch
Done.

> If anyone has anything else to add, please speak now.  If those present
> at the AC.eu Hackathon (Thomas, Henning and perhaps Juergen later in the
> week) can chew through a bunch of these it would be really great.  I
> believe Siegfried is also attending, but I imagine his focus will be on
> Yaafi (let's CodeWrestle that too if possible).
More:
- Deprecated the DBSecurityService.
- Compiled a list of further candidates for removal. Needs to be reviewed.

Bye, Thomas.

Re: Some quick things to tidy up before a 2.3.3-rc1

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
Thomas Vandahl wrote:
> Scott Eade wrote:
>
>> If anyone has anything else to add, please speak now.  If those present
>> at the AC.eu Hackathon (Thomas, Henning and perhaps Juergen later in the
>> week) can chew through a bunch of these it would be really great.  I
>> believe Siegfried is also attending, but I imagine his focus will be on
>> Yaafi (let's CodeWrestle that too if possible).
>>

> While looking through the code I spotted another candidate for
> deprecation that probably had been forgotten: The DBSecurityService and
> its associated classes. Should we deprecate these now? It's responsible
> for a certain part of the hassles I went through yesterday when going to
> Torque 3.2.

Yes, this should be deprecated so that it can be removed in a subsequent
release.

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
Scott Eade wrote:
> If anyone has anything else to add, please speak now.  If those present
> at the AC.eu Hackathon (Thomas, Henning and perhaps Juergen later in the
> week) can chew through a bunch of these it would be really great.  I
> believe Siegfried is also attending, but I imagine his focus will be on
> Yaafi (let's CodeWrestle that too if possible).

While looking through the code I spotted another candidate for
deprecation that probably had been forgotten: The DBSecurityService and
its associated classes. Should we deprecate these now? It's responsible
for a certain part of the hassles I went through yesterday when going to
Torque 3.2.

Bye, Thomas