Posted to dev@nutch.apache.org by Michael Ji <fj...@yahoo.com> on 2005/08/18 02:29:34 UTC

Merge Lucene to Nutch

As I understand, Nutch is a crawling/searching
application based on Lucene;

Just a curious question, when Lucene has a new
version/release, how to merge Lucene to Nutch?

I didn't see an explicity Lucene Java source in Nutch
source tree. I don't think Nutch and Lucene do low
level API independently.

Thanks,

Michael Ji

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Merge Lucene to Nutch

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Nutch simply uses the Lucene JAR file.  Upgrading Nutch to use a new
Lucene release would involve replacing the JAR file with the new
version, and depending on the changes to Lucene itself it may involve
rebuilding indexes (to ensure normalization factors and such changes
are incorporated), but Lucene remains quite backwards compatible with
indexes built with previous versions and reindexing likely wouldn't
be needed.  The specifics are in the details of what versions of
Lucene we're talking about, of course.

     Erik

RE: Merge Lucene to Nutch

Posted by Fuad Efendi <fu...@efendi.ca>.
Nutch (distribution, "ant package") has a folder /lib/ containing lucene
jar files... As usual, specific versions of library files were tested
for production use, any upgrade in libs is not recommended...