Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Hemanth Yamijala <yh...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/06 07:09:08 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Atlas version 0.7-incubating RC2

Hi all,

This is a call for a vote on the Apache Atlas 0.7-incubating release
(release candidate RC2).

A vote was held on developer mailing list and it passed with 7 +1s.

Vote thread: https://s.apache.org/Czm4
Results thread: https://s.apache.org/PAeO

The source tarball (*.tar.gz), signature (*.asc), checksum (*.md5, *.sha512):
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/atlas/0.7.0-incubating-rc2/

The SHA512 checksum of the archive is
8B923CEA 2CDD32C8 7CE9A066 38002BFA 14F666DC C56F95AF 2805D5C1 08B58F9E 436E3E3C
61B40908 474C67E7 782E720E 1BFA3678 B8099EBC 282F64C2 C16A48C4

The commit id (15748e7bc5ed019a63326f201258e3a55d512d96) to be voted upon:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-atlas.git;a=commit;h=15748e7bc5ed019a63326f201258e3a55d512d96

The tag to be voted upon:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-atlas.git;a=log;h=refs/tags/release-0.7-rc2

The list of fixed issues:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-atlas.git;a=blob;f=release-log.txt;hb=refs/heads/0.7-incubating

Keys to verify the signature of the release artifact are available at:
http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/atlas/KEYS
PGP release keys:
http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xA0E6F9F5D96BF0FD

Note that this is a source only release and we are voting on the
source release-0.7-incubating-rc2.

Please download, test, and try it out.

Vote will be open for at least 72 hours till 9th July, 2016 1 AM Pacific time.

[ ] +1 approve
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)

Thank you!

Regards,
Hemanth

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Atlas version 0.7-incubating RC2

Posted by Hemanth Yamijala <yh...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for trying out, Alan.

We will address the tests issue by filing JIRAs for the next release.
A majority of us on the dev team have been using JDK 1.7 on Mac and
tests pass with this - which we verified before putting out the
release. It may be a JDK 1.8 specific issue, which we should address
still - as a runtime platform JDK 1.8 is supported and tested.

Thanks
Hemanth

Posted by Hemanth Yamijala <yh...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for trying out, Joe!

On Sat, Jul 9, 2016 at 4:22 AM, Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1 (bindng).
>
> Conducted a review focused largely on mechanics of the source release
> and licensing.  Findings as follows:
>
> good
> - hashes check out
> - signature checks out
> - source release license/notice/3party license references look great!
> nicely done
> - full clean build w/out tests + apache-rat:check passes.  As a
> caution might want to reconsider how broad rat exclusions are for
> things like txt/json files.  Can be easy to miss things which should
> have headers.
>
> things to address in upcoming release
> - full clean build w/tests results in tests failures (already
> identified).  Recommend getting all tests passing on supported
> platforms.  I was on Java8/OSX which seems to be supported.

As mentioned in the response to Alan's mail - we will address this in
the next release. There maybe Java 8 specific issues that need fixing.

> - checkstyle results reveal that style checks are quite optional.
> Recommend getting to a good stable state with checkstyle so others can
> help keep good hygiene going forward.

+1, we had tried to move to this in the past and some modules have
this enabled, but a majority don't. We understand that delaying it can
only make things worse. Hope we can address this in next release.

> - following the build instructions on the wiki i was unable to create
> the convenience binary tar.gz.  Perhaps the instructions need
> updating.  Ideally the readme of the source release would describe the
> current build process as well.  My interest there was to look through
> any resulting convenience binaries to help with licensing/notice
> considerations there too.

+1 about updating the readme. Will file a JIRA to address this for
next release. I am surprised though that the instructions in the wiki
(http://atlas.incubator.apache.org/InstallationSteps.html) did not
result in a binary tar.gz. It does work on JDK7. Again, unsure if its
a JDK8 issue. We will check this up.

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
+1 (bindng).

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com>.
+1.

Posted by Hemanth Yamijala <yh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

Thank you for trying out.

Understood the reasoning behind including build instructions in the
README. This was raised by Joe as well. We will file a JIRA to handle
this in the next release.

Thanks
Hemanth