Posted to doc@openoffice.apache.org by "Sama, Sowmya" <ss...@luc.edu> on 2014/06/23 19:13:18 UTC

Request for student opportunity to work on Apache OpenOffice

Dear Sir/Madam,

This email is with reference to an opportunity for students to work on the Apache Open office Project. Please let me introduce myself and my friend.

My name is Sowmya and my teammates are Keerthana Aravamudhan(karavamudhan@luc.edu) and Sathyashree Narasimha (snarasimha@luc.edu). We are currently pursuing our degree at Loyola University Chicago. As part of this semester we have taken up a course on Open Source Computing for which we need to work on an open source project . We came across this project on Google code and it was really interesting. We would be really interested to contribute for this project. Below is a brief description about ourselves

Keerthana Aravamudhan - I am currently persuing my MS in Computer Science and I'm in my 3rd semester . I have about 6 years of experience as a Quality Assurance Engineer and I'm also familiar with Java and C . I need to contribute to an open source project for the duration of this semester (ending in July) . So I was hoping if I could contribute in development and QA for 5 hrs a week.

Sowmya Sama - I am co-student of Keerthana, enrolled in MS in Software Engineering. I have around 3 years experience as C# .Net developer and familiar with Java. I would like to contribute along with my team for about 5 hours a week in either Development aspect or Documentation.

Sathyashree Narasimha -  I am currently enrolled as a Non- Degree student and aspiring to pursue the Masters Degree in Information Technology. I am familiar with C# and Java. I will be glad to contribute 10 hours per week contributing towards testing and documentation. ?

Many thanks and your reply is appreciated.

Thanks
Sowmya Sama

Re: Request for student opportunity to work on Apache OpenOffice

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 23/06/2014 Sama, Sowmya wrote:
> My name is Sowmya and my teammates are Keerthana
> Aravamudhan(karavamudhan@luc.edu) and Sathyashree Narasimha
> (snarasimha@luc.edu). We are currently pursuing our degree at Loyola
> University Chicago.

Welcome! OpenOffice can indeed offer you many opportunities for
volunteering in different fields.

> Keerthana Aravamudhan - I am currently persuing my MS in Computer
> Science and I'm in my 3rd semester . I have about 6 years of
> experience as a Quality Assurance Engineer and I'm also familiar with
> Java and C . I need to contribute to an open source project for the
> duration of this semester (ending in July) . So I was hoping if I
> could contribute in development and QA for 5 hrs a week.

If you wish to start immediately and you have 5 hours/week, join the
ongoing tests. Subscribe to the QA list
and then send a note saying that you would like to join the ongoing
tests; include your preferred username so that we can create accounts
for you, and include details on the operating system(s) you use. Then an
optimal way to combine your development and QA skills is to port some of
our automated tests to Google Test. See
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Googletest but ask the dev list for
precise instructions.

> Sowmya Sama - I am co-student of Keerthana, enrolled in MS in
> Software Engineering. I have around 3 years experience as C# .Net
> developer and familiar with Java. I would like to contribute along
> with my team for about 5 hours a week in either Development aspect or
> Documentation.

Documentation is a field where you can help immediately. We have a list
of pages that need proofreading right now. For example:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide/UI and
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide/Formatting
We can create a wiki account for you if you send the doc list (please
subscribe, see above) your preferred username; then you'll be able to
edit pages. As for Development, the hardest initial step is to get
OpenOffice to build. See
http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-development.html to get
started.

> Sathyashree Narasimha -  I am currently enrolled as a Non- Degree
> student and aspiring to pursue the Masters Degree in Information
> Technology. I am familiar with C# and Java. I will be glad to
> contribute 10 hours per week contributing towards testing and
> documentation. ?

What I wrote above about testing and documentation applies. In your
case, you should subscribe to both the QA and Documentation lists. You
and Keerthana could also help in confirming unconfirmed bug reports.
This is an easy way to help with QA and very useful to the project. See
http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-qa.html for more information.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Request for student opportunity to work on Apache OpenOffice

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.