Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com> on 2019/02/23 16:45:52 UTC

Failures in tests

Hello,

I wonder if issue faced by new contributors is not due to PR 437 that
migrated properties from ASCII to UTF-8.

I think what happens is the following:

   - There is this check:
      -
      https://github.com/apache/jmeter/blob/trunk/test/src/org/apache/jmeter/resources/PackageTest.java#L145
   - If you build through Ant, and run tests it work fine
   - But if you cleanup and rebuild project in Eclipse, the properties with
   UTF-8 are moved to class folders and since native2ascii does not run, the
   tests related to Lang fail

Regards

Re: Failures in tests

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.
Am 28.02.19 um 21:07 schrieb Vladimir Sitnikov:
> Felix> Any other ideas?
>
> Do nothing, and deal with it when Gradle build is implemented
>
> That's obvious, isn't it?

At least now we know, why some users are having trouble and can help.

Felix

Re: Failures in tests

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.
Felix> Any other ideas?

Re: Failures in tests

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.
Am 28.02.19 um 10:19 schrieb sebb:
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 at 08:57, Felix Schumacher
> <fe...@internetallee.de> wrote:
>> Am 23.02.2019 17:45, schrieb Philippe Mouawad:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I wonder if issue faced by new contributors is not due to PR 437 that
>>> migrated properties from ASCII to UTF-8.
>>>
>>> I think what happens is the following:
>>>
>>>     - There is this check:
>>>        -
>>>
>>> https://github.com/apache/jmeter/blob/trunk/test/src/org/apache/jmeter/resources/PackageTest.java#L145
>>>     - If you build through Ant, and run tests it work fine
>>>     - But if you cleanup and rebuild project in Eclipse, the properties
>>> with
>>>     UTF-8 are moved to class folders and since native2ascii does not
>>> run, the
>>>     tests related to Lang fail
>>>
>> Yes, I think you have nailed it.
>>
>> I just had the same error on my setup here. It uses eclipse for editing
>> and then I switched to console to run ant test. Sure enough I got the
>> error message.
>> The properties files in build and src where identical -- because eclipse
>> copied them. When I ran "ant clean install test ..." it succeeded and
>> the properties files in build and src where different -- as expected.
>>
>> Thanks for your analysis. Now we can try to work on the necessary steps
>> to get it all working in eclipse.
> Won't this issue affect other IDEs?
Probably.
> How do they know to run native2ascii?
I don't know.

> I suspect this issue may have been why we only used ACII originally.

That might be the case, I wasn't around at that time, but I still think
it is good to have those files in utf-8, as it helped me to find a few
mistakes in the translated files (there are still a few accents missing
in the french files :).

One way to "fix" it, would be to move the properties files to a location
unknown to the IDEs, so that the user has to call "ant install" to
translate them. Another would be to add "install" as a dependency to "test".

Any other ideas?

Felix

Re: Failures in tests

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.