Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Larry Young <ly...@dalmatian.com> on 2004/06/03 21:08:15 UTC

SMTPAppender logging stacktrace

Hello,

         I've been struggling with SMTPAppender using the
PatternLayout.  No matter what I set the pattern to, it kept sending out
the entire exception stack trace.    I thought it was appearing because of
the %m so I thought I was doing the format specifiers incorrectly
(%-1.100m).  Come to find out that the SMTPAppender class is taking it upon
itself to append the stack trace to the email message.  Actually, it is
only doing this if the Layout class says that it "ignores the throwable",
which PatternLayout does.

         So, is my solution to this problem to write a new Layout class
that claims that is doesn't ignore the throwable (which it actually
will!)?  I just want to make sure that this is the intended path to go down
to hide the stack trace from the logger output.

         BTW, before anyone thinks I'm throwing away the stack trace, I'm
not.  The stack trace is being output to the physical log file.  I just
don't want to include it in the email message I'm sending, and I REALLY
don't want to include it in the message I'm sending to my pager!!

         Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

--- regards ---
Larry

Re: SMTPAppender logging stacktrace

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
At 09:08 PM 6/3/2004, Larry Young wrote:
>Hello,
>
>         I've been struggling with SMTPAppender using the
> PatternLayout.  No matter what I set the pattern to, it kept sending out
> the entire exception stack trace.    I thought it was appearing because
> of the %m so I thought I was doing the format specifiers incorrectly
> (%-1.100m).  Come to find out that the SMTPAppender class is taking it
> upon itself to append the stack trace to the email message.  Actually, it
> is only doing this if the Layout class says that it "ignores the
> throwable", which PatternLayout does.
>
>         So, is my solution to this problem to write a new Layout class
> that claims that is doesn't ignore the throwable (which it actually
> will!)?  I just want to make sure that this is the intended path to go
> down to hide the stack trace from the logger output.

It sounds correct. You could actually change PatternLayout, or even the
Layout class to treat ignoresThrowable as a settable property. It's an
interesting use case.

--
Ceki Gülcü