Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by myrnap <my...@Golux.Com> on 2004/12/07 04:01:22 UTC

10.0.2.1. release notes/readme?

Hi,

Should we have a release notes / readme? What should it be called?

If so, what should go in?
I can think of the following
1. A reference to the getstart page
2. A list of bugs we think deserves explicit mention

Then, where would it go? I suggest at the same level as where the jars
can be downloaded...

I would propose the following file...

Thx,
Myrna

RELEASE NOTES

Derby version 10.0.2.1

The build # of this release is 106978.

For getting started, refer to
http://incubator.apache.org/derby/manuals/getstart/gspr16.html

Below is a list of open issues documented in the jira bug tracking system
for the project at the time of the release:

Key  Summary

DERBY-1  Can't create a new db on OS X
DERBY-3  Identity column not filled consecutively with "insert ...
select distinct"
DERBY-4  "order by" is not supported for "insert ... select"
DERBY-5  Network Server Protocol error when select fails and "order by"
is specified
DERBY-7  Bug in NULLIF Function
DERBY-8  Connection object gets created with un-supported holdability on
getting Connection object from XAConnection "inside" the global
transaction
DERBY-10  Provide XA Support for Network Server
DERBY-11  Recursive SQL and WITH A(col list) as (Select col list From
Table List) Support.
DERBY-12  Quoted table names mishandled in select list expansion
DERBY-13  Quoted names with embedded period mishandled in from list
DERBY-15  May get a non-uniue conglomerate id in a very unlikely XA edge
case
DERBY-17  Network Server Needs to generate CRRTKN on ACCRDB if client
does not send it
DERBY-18  Exposed name matching has bugs when the column name is
qualified with a schema name.
DERBY-19  NPE when trying to create a database at a directory that is
not allowed
DERBY-20  LIKE handles strings with control characters incorrectly.
DERBY-22  Exception XCL16 incorrectly raised for ResultSet of method
return after nested commit.
DERBY-23  just booting jdbc driver and shutting down seem to leak memory
DERBY-25  INSERT INTO SELECT DISTINCT ... skips some values for
autoincrement column
DERBY-26  Dropping a nested trigger and rerunning the querry causes
NullPointerException
DERBY-27  UCASE/LCASE function should change case according to database
locale, but uppercases according to the JVM locale.
DERBY-28  Execute Statement of a SYSIBM sps gives java linkage error and
class not found exception.
DERBY-31  Statement.setQueryTimeout() support.
DERBY-36  Following the provided documentation and running ij results in
a java.lang.InternalException
DERBY-37  detection of incorrect types comparison is done at ? parameters
DERBY-39  Strange error in JOIN ON clause
DERBY-43  Add documentation for database encryption using external key
DERBY-46  Do not store encryption block size for encrypted database when
using external key
DERBY-47  Some possible improvements to IN optimization
DERBY-48  A connection request that has a default schema that is being
created by another transaction will fail to connect
DERBY-49  Need to document new property derby.drda.keepAlive
DERBY-51  Need NetworkServerControl shutdown API method that does not
shutdown derby embedded
DERBY-52  Cannot create CHAR column with size greater than 254
DERBY-56  NsSample sample program refered to in documentation is missing
DERBY-57  derby snapshot zip does not contain network server war file
DERBY-60  Documentation refers to SYSIBM system schema
DERBY-61  Some derby javadoc issues should be cleaned up
DERBY-62  TableName not serializable
DERBY-63  updateNull doesnot work with Embedded Driver
DERBY-64  Create a table with a query
DERBY-65  Network Server user ID and password encryption requires IBMJCE
DERBY-66  Derby supports open cursor across commits and hence
DatabaseMetaData.supportsOpenCursorsAcrossCommit return true.
DERBY-68  Mistypos
DERBY-69  RFE: HEX function
DERBY-70  Incorrect documentation about class loading from installed jar
files.
DERBY-71  Merge TransactionResourceImpl into EmbeddedConnection
DERBY-73  Ability to compile under JDK1.5
DERBY-75  Clean up import and JavaDoc for MethodNode hierarchy
DERBY-76  Stored procedure cannot be invoked with VALUES statement
DERBY-77  Test instructions incomplete for setting classpath.
DERBY-78  Add support for table/view Synonym to Derby
DERBY-79  Provide Derby Documentation in PDF format and improve navigation
DERBY-80  RFE: System Function for Diagnostic Info
DERBY-81  Datetime datatypes should allow arithmetic operations on them.
DERBY-82  Add documentation for property - derby.language.logQueryPlan
DERBY-84  Column aliasing could simplify queries
DERBY-85  NPE when creating a trigger on a table and default schema
doesn't exist.
DERBY-86  sweep of name changes to Derby
DERBY-87  org.apache.derby.database.UserUtility.add does not exist but
is documented
DERBY-88  RunSuite summary rounds incorrectly
DERBY-89  Support Java Signature in procedure declaration
DERBY-90  dblook displays message keys instead of their associated text
DERBY-91  XA .sql tests fail with jar files

Re: 10.0.2.1. release notes/readme?

Posted by myrnap <my...@Golux.Com>.
myrnap wrote:

> Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
>
>> I think the idea is good, but the bug list needs some work.
>> Only bugs should be in the list, not requests for new features.
>> (e.g. Derby-31 is a new feature in Jira, not a bug).
>>
>> Also it may be useful to split the list of bugs into three sections,
>> code bugs, documentation bugs and testing bugs. Or even remove the
>> testing bugs since the tests are not part of the release (eg. Derby-88).
>>
>> Dan.
>>

> I have tried to make those changes.
> I have made a separate file to go with the derbyTesting.jar - will
> send separate email.
> I have also added a line about needing Universal Driver version 2.4.
>
> However, I have some questions:
> There's a difference in Jira between outright requests for new
> features and improvements. I left the improvements in, took out the
> outright requests. ok/not?
> Derby-65 both has a code and a documentation aspect to it. I left it
> under code issues. ok/not ok?
> Derby-63 seems to me a new feature, but is currently listed as bug.
> classification correct?
> Derby 56 and 57, can they be closed now?
> Derby 49 is listed as an improvement, but I think it should just be a
> doc bug?
> Derby 1 - did that get resolved by Apple or not?
>
> Thx....
> Myrna

oops - forgot to delete the old inlined stuff in my previous mail on
this. only look at the attachment now, please.

Re: 10.0.2.1. release notes/readme?

Posted by myrnap <my...@Golux.Com>.

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
With all the (excellent) activity on the derby-dev list I'm losing the
thread on this one, but some sort of release notes are really important.

Will these go into the code tree? And the web site link to them?  Or
will they go onto the web site? If onto the web site, is there anybody
forrest-savvy who could step forward and catch this one? I'd be happy to
commit the result to the web site.

 -jean

Re: 10.0.2.1. derbyTesting, jar & readme...

Posted by myrnap <my...@Golux.Com>.

>> <>Hm. Actually, I am wondering if we should not also save the
>> derbyTesting.jar at the same release level.
>
> <>Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>> Agreed, and a list on the site of which jvm/os/hardware combinations
>> people have run with the Derby tests would be useful. That is if anyone
>> runs the tests they could report the results to one of the lists and
>> then subsequently it could be summarized on the site.

 From last email:

> I build the derbyTesting.jar for 106978 revision. It should be placed
> at the same level as the lib and bin downloads. Should I send it to
> the list or can I send it to one of the committers directly?
>
> I have attached a testing release notes/readme file that should
> probably go in the new branch?
> It should go with the derbyTesting.jar.
> It lists the testing bugs, it could also function as the place to list
> tested revisions. If people sent their testing efforts to the list
> I'll be happy to combine it, or else maybe this file can just be patched?

I have now changed the testing.txt file into a .html, and added a table
to show the tests I know were run at IBM. Other folks could/should add
their test results to it.
If this file looks good, it should get checked in next to the
derbyTesting.jar of build 106978 parallel to the incubator release...

Myrna

Re: 10.0.2.1. derbyTesting, jar & readme...

Posted by myrnap <my...@Golux.Com>.
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>myrnap wrote:
>

>>Hm. Actually, I am wondering if we should not also save the
>>derbyTesting.jar at the same release level.
>>

>Agreed, and a list on the site of which jvm/os/hardware combinations
>people have run with the Derby tests would be useful. That is if anyone
>runs the tests they could report the results to one of the lists and
>then subsequently it could be summarized on the site.

I build the derbyTesting.jar for 106978 revision. It should be placed at
the same level as the lib and bin downloads. Should I send it to the
list or can I send it to one of the committers directly?

I have attached a testing release notes/readme file that should probably
go in the new branch?
It should go with the derbyTesting.jar.
It lists the testing bugs, it could also function as the place to list
tested revisions. If people sent their testing efforts to the list I'll
be happy to combine it, or else maybe this file can just be patched?
I put the cts test suite results that I already sent to the list in it.

If someone could commit these to svn...

Thx,
Myrna

Re: 10.0.2.1. release notes/readme?

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.

Re: 10.0.2.1. release notes/readme?

Posted by myrnap <my...@Golux.Com>.
>Also it may be useful to split the list of bugs into three sections,
>code bugs, documentation bugs and testing bugs. Or even remove the
>testing bugs since the tests are not part of the release (eg. Derby-88).
>
>Dan.

Hm. Actually, I am wondering if we should not also save the
derbyTesting.jar at the same release level.
Otherwise, in future, someone might be trying to use the release
derby.jar with updated derbyTesting.jar files, which then will cause
failing tests..?

Myrna

Re: 10.0.2.1. release notes/readme?

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.