Posted to dev@mxnet.apache.org by "Lausen, Leonard" <la...@amazon.com.INVALID> on 2020/05/08 20:49:49 UTC

Severe legal issues with releases on repository.apache.org

Hi all,

repository.apache.org is an official Apache Software Foundation release channel
and the MXNet project has been publishing convenience binaries via that channel
since quite a while. Unfortunately it appears that no-one has initiated a
license review of these convenience binaries, and unfortunately they are
incompatible with the ASF requirements. They should have never been uploaded.

I recently reached out to Legal to inquire about this issue [1] and Legal team
recommends to remedy the situation ASAP.

Two issues, out of the potentially larger set of all issues.

1) There are GPU builds (mxnet-full_2.11-linux-x86_64-gpu) incorporating the
CUDA SDK and possibly cuDNN, placing the resulting libmxnet.so under the CUDA
EULA and cuDNN SLA. This EULA and SLA contain many restrictions, making them
Category-X licenses [1]. No Apache project must under any circumstance
redistribute such binaries.

2) All builds redistribute libgfortran.so, which is part of the GNU Fortran
compiler, part of GCC and subject to the GPL. The GPL is also a Category-X
license and the same restrictions apply.

I see the following two potential remedies:

1) Ask the Infra team to delete all MXNet releases on repository.apache.org

2) Ask the Infra team to delete all MXNet GPU releases on repository.apache.org
and provide replacement releases without libgfortran.so and other potentially
Category-X files (I found libmkl_ml.so in one of the JARs..)

If no-one steps up to do 2) or no-one suggests a better option, I recommend we
go for option 1). Let's start discussing the options. Once discussion has
settled, I'll initiate a lazy consensus or vote session.

Note that these license rules apply to MXNet as part of the ASF. Third-parties
(individuals or companies) may redistribute binary builds of MXNet incorporating
Category-X licenses, IF they are appropriately labeled and no ASF trademarks or
branding is infringed.

As for the GPU builds, NVidia or Amazon may be willing to provide third-party
GPU builds. I opened another ticket with Jira to see if such third-parties could
provide them and what considerations would need to be taken into account. [3]
This is similar to the Pypi releases, are third-party releases and not performed
by the MXNet project (though also for them some legal questions remain open; in
particular our Website does not disclaim that these are third-party releases).

Best regards
Leonard

[1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-516
[2]: https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-x
[3]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-515

RE: Severe legal issues with releases on repository.apache.org

Posted by Triston Cao <tr...@nvidia.com>.
Leonard,

We are seeking help from NVIDIA product and legal team. I will keep you guys update once there is any progress.
Thanks,

-Triston

Posted by Triston Cao <tr...@nvidia.com>.
Thank you, Leonard.

Hi, Markus & Tianqi,

It will be very helpful that you can summarize the issues.  I would be happy to coordinate from NVIDIA teams to see if we can address them appropriately.

Thanks,

-Triston

Posted by "Lausen, Leonard" <la...@amazon.com.INVALID>.
You're right that the compiler itself is not the problem. The resulting
dependency on libgfortran.so runtime library and the JAR including the .so file
is the problem. We can remove the .so file from the JAR and require that it's
present on the user's system. That would be similar to how we already require
presence of LGPL libc.so and libgcc.so on the user's system. (LGPL is also
Category-X)

The reason that the third-party Pypi builds don't make the same assumption for
libgfortran.so is that according to the packaging standard
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0599/#the-manylinux2014-policy we mustn't
assume that libgfortran.so is present. By reusing the code responsible for the
Python static build, the JAR builds ended up with libgfortran.so included.

So the key question is: How common is the presence of libgfortran.so among the
users of the repository.apache.org convenience binaries. Is it reasonable to
require it? This should have been listed as Option 3) in the previous email.

Best regards
Leonard

PS: Another potential issue is the ABI. Ideally, if the ABI is stable, we can
compile OpenBLAS on CentOS 7 with libgfortran.so.3, declare a dependency on
libgfortran.so and have the resulting binary also work with libgfortran.so.4 and
libgfortran.so.5. I haven't tested that though.

Posted by Tianqi Chen <tq...@cs.washington.edu>.

Posted by "Lausen, Leonard" <la...@amazon.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Zach Kimberg <za...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 12:08 PM Lausen, Leonard <la...@amazon.com.invalid>
wrote:

> On Mon, 2020-05-11 at 13:56 -0400, Carin Meier wrote:
> > Does removing the jars from both of these solutions also remove them from
> > maven central?
>
> Does Maven Central automatically mirror jars from repository.apache.org?
> Or were
> these jars uploaded there manually?

The jars are automatically mirrored. This implies that we remove them from
Maven Central as well.

Posted by "Lausen, Leonard" <la...@amazon.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Carin Meier <ca...@gmail.com>.
Does removing the jars from both of these solutions also remove them from
maven central?

> 1) Ask the Infra team to delete all MXNet releases on
> repository.apache.org
> 2) Ask the Infra team to delete all MXNet GPU releases on
> repository.apache.org
> and provide replacement releases without libgfortran.so and other
> potentially
> Category-X files (I found libmkl_ml.so in one of the JARs..)

If so, either of these options has potential to cause major disruption for
users that depend on using them in production. If either of these actions
are deemed necessary, we should strive to provide communication to end
users and a solution for a process of how to replace them.

- Carin

Posted by "Lausen, Leonard" <la...@amazon.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Tianqi Chen <tq...@cs.washington.edu>.

Posted by Markus Weimer <we...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tianqi Chen <tq...@cs.washington.edu>.

Posted by "Lausen, Leonard" <la...@amazon.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Chris Olivier <cj...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Lazy consensus] Removal of all repository.apache.org mxnet artifacts (and their mirrored maven central counterparts)

Posted by Carin Meier <ca...@gmail.com>.
Zach,

If you are willing and able to do that on behalf of Amazon, that would be
great.

-Carin

Posted by Zach Kimberg <za...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carin Meier <ca...@gmail.com>.