Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Alex Hooper <ah...@bmjgroup.com> on 2012/02/29 13:09:47 UTC

logging failure with tomcat 6.0.29, jvm 1.6.0_30-b12, ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS

Hi,

With the software noted above, I get the following when starting tomcat
and no logs other than catalina.are produced.

Can't load log handler "1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler"
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: 1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: 1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler
        at java.util.logging.LogManager$3.run(LogManager.java:358)
        at
java.util.logging.LogManager.loadLoggerHandlers(LogManager.java:345)
        at java.util.logging.LogManager.addLogger(LogManager.java:566)
        at java.util.logging.LogManager$1.run(LogManager.java:181)
        at java.util.logging.LogManager.<clinit>(LogManager.java:157)
        at java.util.logging.Logger.getLogger(Logger.java:287)
        at sun.management.snmp.util.MibLogger.<init>(MibLogger.java:57)
        at sun.management.snmp.util.MibLogger.<init>(MibLogger.java:42)
        at
sun.management.jmxremote.ConnectorBootstrap.<clinit>(ConnectorBootstrap.java:760)
        at sun.management.Agent.startAgent(Agent.java:127)
        at sun.management.Agent.startAgent(Agent.java:239)

There is a lot on the web about this, but it all centres around adding
the correct permissions to the system java.policy file (or to catalina's
own, and invoking with -security).

However, that does not work for me. If I run with
CATALINA_OPTS=-Djava.security.debug=all, I can see that it is reading
the same policy file which I'm editing, and the debug output doesn't
include the word "FAILED" nor anything specific about  tomcat-juli.jar,
and yet it still doesn't work.

I'm about to start tearing my hair out. Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,

Alex.

--
Alex Hooper
Operations Team Leader, BMJ Group, BMA House, London WC1H 9JR

The BMJ Group is one of the world's most trusted providers of medical information for doctors, researchers, health care workers and patients group.bmj.com.  This email and any attachments are confidential.  If you have received this email in error, please delete it and kindly notify us.  If the email contains personal views then the BMJ Group accepts no responsibility for these statements.  The recipient should check this email and attachments for viruses because the BMJ Group accepts no liability for any damage caused by viruses.  Emails sent or received by the BMJ Group may be monitored for size, traffic, distribution and content.  BMJ Publishing Group Limited trading as BMJ Group.  A private limited company, registered in England and Wales under registration number 03102371.  Registered office: BMA House, Tavistock Square, London WC1H 9JR, UK.

Re: logging failure with tomcat 6.0.29, jvm 1.6.0_30-b12, ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS

Posted by Alex Hooper <ah...@bmjgroup.com>.
Caldarale, Charles R uttered:
>> From: Alex Hooper [mailto:ahooper@bmjgroup.com] Subject: Re: logging
>> failure with tomcat 6.0.29, jvm 1.6.0_30-b12, ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS
>
>> We've not modified it, though, so should be as per dist.
>
> It appears to be as you say.  Looking at the stack trace a bit more:
>
>> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: 1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler ...
>>  at java.util.logging.LogManager.loadLoggerHandlers(LogManager.java:345)
>> ... at java.util.logging.Logger.getLogger(Logger.java:287) at
>> sun.management.snmp.util.MibLogger.<init>(MibLogger.java:57) at
>> sun.management.snmp.util.MibLogger.<init>(MibLogger.java:42) at
>> sun.management.jmxremote.ConnectorBootstrap.<clinit>(ConnectorBootstrap.java:760)
>>  at sun.management.Agent.startAgent(Agent.java:127) at
>> sun.management.Agent.startAgent(Agent.java:239)
>
> It appears that the JMX agent is using Tomcat's logging.properties but with
> the unmodified java.util.logging package from the JRE rather than JULI from
> Tomcat.  Can you show us what the eventual command line is that launches
> Tomcat?  The parameter specifying
> -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager looks like
> it's missing.

Oh. My. Goodness.

Thank $deity for fresh eyes. An edit to catalina.sh had caused that parameter to
be lost.

It's scary how much time that kind of error can consume.

Thank you so much for taking the time and spotting that.

Cheers,

Alex.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Alex Hooper <ah...@bmjgroup.com>.
Caldarale, Charles R uttered:
>> From: Alex Hooper [mailto:ahooper@bmjgroup.com]
>> Subject: logging failure with tomcat 6.0.29, jvm 1.6.0_30-b12, ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS
>
>> With the software noted above
>
> Thanks for providing that.
>
>> I get the following when starting tomcat and no logs
>> other than catalina.are produced.
>
>> Can't load log handler "1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler"
>> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: 1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler
>
> That looks like your logging.properties file contains invalid settings.  Please post it here.

Sure. We've not modified it, though, so should be as per dist.

$ cat conf/logging.properties
# Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more
# contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
# this work for additional information regarding copyright ownership.
# The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
# (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
# the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at
#
#     http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
#
# Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
# distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
# WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
# See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
# limitations under the License.

handlers = 1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler,
2localhost.org.apache.juli.FileHandler, 3manager.org.apache.juli.FileHandler,
4host-manager.org.apache.juli.FileHandler, java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler

.handlers = 1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler, java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler

# Handler specific properties.
# Describes specific configuration info for Handlers.

1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.level = FINE
1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.directory = ${catalina.base}/logs
1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.prefix = catalina.

2localhost.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.level = FINE
2localhost.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.directory = ${catalina.base}/logs
2localhost.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.prefix = localhost.

3manager.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.level = FINE
3manager.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.directory = ${catalina.base}/logs
3manager.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.prefix = manager.

4host-manager.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.level = FINE
4host-manager.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.directory = ${catalina.base}/logs
4host-manager.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.prefix = host-manager.

java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.level = FINE
java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.formatter = java.util.logging.SimpleFormatter

# Facility specific properties.
# Provides extra control for each logger.

org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].level = INFO
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].handlers =
2localhost.org.apache.juli.FileHandler

org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/manager].level =
INFO
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/manager].handlers
= 3manager.org.apache.juli.FileHandler

org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/host-manager].level
= INFO
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/host-manager].handlers
= 4host-manager.org.apache.juli.FileHandler

# For example, set the com.xyz.foo logger to only log SEVERE
# messages:
#org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.level = FINE
#org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.level = FINE
#org.apache.catalina.session.ManagerBase.level = FINE
#org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener.level=FINE

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.