Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dan Poirier <po...@pobox.com> on 2009/02/10 21:16:25 UTC

Logging bytes sent

It appears that %b logging of bytes sent can be wrong if something
happens to the connection during the request processing.

The number logged by mod_log_config is r->bytes_sent, which is computed
in ap_content_length_filter().  If something goes wrong (maybe I pull
Apache's network cable) while sending the response, the connection gets
aborted, but r->bytes_sent isn't changed, and so the access log shows
that the full length of the response was sent.  You can add %X to the
logging to see whether the connection was aborted, but the number of
bytes sent logged is still wrong.

I'm wondering if there's some good reason for this that I'm missing?  Or
maybe it's just an oversight I've noticed since I happen to be looking
at that part of the code right now.

Thanks,
Dan