Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com> on 2013/10/01 18:58:26 UTC

[POLL] Latency between Management Server and zones

[Apologize for the crosspost, but I think there may be answers from the dev perspective]
[Also, this is poll / opinion question]

What is the maximum latency / minimum bandwidth folks have between their Management Server and the hypervisor?
What works? What needs to be tweaked?

TIA

Re: [POLL] Latency between Management Server and zones

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Tue, Oct 01, 2013 at 04:58:26PM +0000, Chiradeep Vittal wrote:
> [Apologize for the crosspost, but I think there may be answers from the dev perspective]
> [Also, this is poll / opinion question]
>
> What is the maximum latency / minimum bandwidth folks have between their Management Server and the hypervisor?
> What works? What needs to be tweaked?
>
> TIA

FWIW, $dayjob has taken the approach of mgmt server clusters being
geographically local to the zones under management (so sub 5ms
typically).  Bandwidth requirements from mgmt servers to hosts is
actually so small in the aggregate, that it's not even a consideration
really.  Production traffic / storage IO / secondary storage activity
are what drive the BW requirements, and mgmt traffic gets to come along
for the ride.  The regions feature makes it perfectly reasonable to have
multiple mgmt clusters, and frankly they have a small footprint...  so
there isn't much downside to this approach.

Why push the limits of latency tolerance if not required. ;-)

This doesn't directly answer you question, but it's one approach.

-chip

Re: [POLL] Latency between Management Server and zones

Posted by Sean Hamilton <se...@seanhamilton.co.uk>.
The max currently is around 140ms for us. We see a noticeable lag, but
regions should sort that out.