Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com> on 2007/01/04 06:52:03 UTC

Starting and completing a production run

A customer ordered a configurable PC PC001. It appears automatically in my Job Shop, that's nice.

I confirmed the production run (status "confirmed"). I set all production times to 10
milliseconds. I then started the routing task named "Stock Out".

I then clicked on Declare to specify quantity produced. I could add quantity produced, no problem.
But I couldn't add quantity produced for individual deliverables (ETH_BRAND, HD2GB_BRAND,
RAM256_BRAND). Strange error message.

I moved on to try to issue components. Strange error message.

How do I start and complete a production run?

And what's with all those strange error messages?

Jonathon

Re: Starting and completing a production run

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
Hi Jacopo,

I did a quick dig through trace through, and found the problem. It stems from the service call
"getManufacturingComponents". More details of my adventures below.

 >> I get the error right when I'm adding quantity produced for "individual
 >> deliverables (ETH_BRAND, HD2GB_BRAND, RAM256_BRAND)".
 >>
 > These are the components needed by the production run and so they will be
 > consumed (not produced) by the production run: this is what happens when you
 > click the "issue" link in the production run screen.

Yes, you're right, I clicked the "issue" link.

 > Do you get the same error when you click on the "quick complete" link?

Yes, the same error message.

I managed to get "quick complete" to complete! I just had to add "Material A" for the BOMs of
ETH_BRAND, HD2GB_BRAND and RAM256_BRAND.

What an odd error message. It should've simply told me that routing task "Stock Out" is missing
those components, rather than say "can't get average cost for products".

I think I spotted another bug.

I have zero quantity of "Material A". Yet, the production run completed. I see a negative quantity
now for ETH_BRAND, HD2GB_BRAND and RAM256_BRAND, like they've been consumed for the production
run. Note that I edited the BOMS for those components AFTER the production run was generated.

Perhaps the constraint "no QOH for components" should still stand and prevent completion of
production run?

A more complex question (sorry) is: how does an existing production run adapt to new manufacturing
capabilities? Say, I used to be unable to manufacture ETH_BRAND, HD2GB_BRAND and RAM256_BRAND. A
production run is auto-generated at that time which didn't have a routing task to produce those
components (just one that consumes them). Say I then discover I could grow those components out of
Coca Cola cans. How do I edit the existing production run to reflect my new manufacturing
abilities? Does changing my routing task from "assembly" to "manufacturing" on-the-fly work?

I hit a similar problem when trying to pack the PC001 for the sales order! Same type of error
message here: "can't get average cost for product", this time it's for PC001!

Do I have to create a BOM for PC001 like I did for ETH_BRAND? PC001 currently has no components in
its BOM. But PC001 is a configurable product. How do I create a "conditional BOM" for it?

I still can't get the components (ETH_BRAND, HD2GB_BRAND, etc) to increase in quantity even though
I modified my routing task to "manufacture" (was "assembly"). After completing a few production
runs, my components are now at negative values.

Does the packing/shipping consume the components as well? If so, it looks like a double
consumption: once in the production run, again in the packing/shipping.

Another question, about inventory. I now have several PC001 inventory items, presumably with
different configurations requiring separate entries. How do I know which entry has what
configuration (2 harddisks, 5 RAMs, modem card, etc)?

 > Which version OFBiz version are you running?

OpenTaps 0.93 .

 > Documents (not really complete or updated, but with intersting
 > information in them):

Yes, I searched Confluence and found those PDFs. Nothing I could use on them. Certainly couldn't
find instructions that should tell me to create BOMs for components.

Help? I don't wanna do anymore reverse-engineering if I can avoid it.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Hi Jonathon,

sorry for the late reply but I'm really very busy.
Please see my comments inline:

Jonathon -- Improov wrote:
> Jacopo,
>
> See my previous email below for how to reproduce the error. I get the
> error right when I'm adding quantity produced for "individual
> deliverables (ETH_BRAND, HD2GB_BRAND, RAM256_BRAND)".

These are the components needed by the production run and so they will
be consumed (not produced) by the production run:
this is what happens when you click the "issue" link in the production
run screen.
Do you get the same error when you click on the "quick complete" link?
> The 1st error message I see in console.log is:
> ModelService.java:396:ERROR] [ModelService.validate] :
> {postInventoryProducedToGl} : (IN) Required test error:
> org.ofbiz.service.ServiceValidationException: The following required
> parameter is missing: [postInventoryProducedToGl.inventoryItemIds]

Which version OFBiz version are you running? Are you using the
"financial" component? I think David is right when he says that it is
probably a problem between the manufacturing-and-financial components.

> Then there's some rollback exceptions.
>
> Quick questions about TransactionUtil.java. Do all transaction roll
> backs throw rollback exceptions? Is it the standard basic exception
> that tells a transactional/atomic chunk of processing NOT to continue
> (so we don't hit the "commit" statement at the end of the processing
> block), ie a standard basic exception in the absense of a more
> specific exception? Normally, a more specific exception should be
> thrown, like YouKnowWhatErrorException, so that the program can
> actually process the exception and display a message to user like "You
> know what you did wrong", rather than a message like "Beep Beep Beep,
> wrong, nada, zeho, (gasp), (die)".
>
> If you need a larger output from console.log, let me know. Can I send
> it to the mailing list as a bz2? I'm kinda paranoid about NOT flooding
> mail systems with large files of useless data.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Oh, 1 more thing. Any developer docs at all for the
> manufacturing/inventory aspects? Where's Olivier Heintz? Did he do the
> Job Shop?

Documents (not really complete or updated, but with intersting
information in them):

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=145855&package_id=189005
(from Opentaps).

http://docs.ofbiz.org/download/attachments/742/ManagerReferenceManufacturing.pdf

and (rather old):
http://ofbizwiki.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?page=ManufacturingUserManual
http://ofbizwiki.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?page=ManufacturingTour
http://ofbizwiki.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?page=Manufacturing
Olivier and I worked together during the early days of the OFBiz
manufacturing component; he really helped a lot but unfortunately he
preferred to start his own project (called Neogia) based on OFBiz but
with different approaches (and a different, incompatible license - GPL).
However I think he is reading these messages (Hi Olivier!).

Jacopo

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Jacopo, Si,

From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <ti...@sastau.it>
> Jonathon,
>
> Jonathon -- Improov wrote:
> > Jacopo,
> >
> > Sorry, I may have done a myriad of other actions to get the "required
> > parameter is missing".
> >
> > The real error (where it all starts) is probably this:
> >
> > "Service Error [postRawMaterialIssuancesToGl]: Unable to find a
> > product average cost for product [ETH_BRAND] in organization [Company]".
> >
> Ah yes, this is a configuration issue: using the webtools add a record
> in ProductAverageCost for each of the components of your pc and it
> should work (it is needed by the Opentap's financial component).
>
> Jacopo

Maybe we can afford some seed data ?

Jacques

Re: Starting and completing a production run

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
You're right, it's a pain to put in the jars we need upon checking out from SVN, true. Just like
how we need to put in MySQL jdbc connector (I wouldn't recommend checking that in, since MySQL
connector could change often).

I guess it's ok to put the jars in if they don't change often at all (say once in a year). SVN
makes "cheap" copies of static files, so you don't waste lots of disk space storing multiple
copies of jars in various branches. You probably have that scheme in place: check in very stable
unchanging jars, leave out uncertain 3rd-party jars. That said, you probably can take quite some
pressure off the SVN server if you kept the static jars on another system (say file server). Only
when the SVN server faces overload issues.

By the way, what happened to OFBiz releases? Were there ever any? Nothing in branches or tags.

Jonathon

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.

Posted by Si Chen <si...@opensourcestrategies.com>.
Jonathon -- Improov wrote:
> [...]
> > modules in place.
>
> I see that http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/ has only trunk,
> nothing in branches or tags. Is this true? I'm currently downloading
> the trunk.
>
> Whoa! You checked in even the library jars? Could've kept a mere
> 1-liner document specifying which library version (fop, velocity,
> json, etc) is "tested and approved" with the current revision, and
> then kept the actual jar file somewhere else in a file server.
>
> Ok, done downloading. Just to confirm. I downloaded 26.33MB of files.
> 4115 files and folders. Revision 493088. Is this correct? It's the trunk.
>
> > Also, PLEASE be realistic about what you expect from the mailing list.
> > This is an open source project run by independent people who are
> > individually footing the bill to answer your questions. The time is not
> > free to them, so they are paying for the time they give to you.
>
> I do appreciate all your time. Notice that I don't talk to the
> community like it's a paid tech support team; I try to do a
> give-and-take. Yeah, true, I did ask for a LOT, but I also offered to
> give a LOT in return. I hope you can see how I can rapidly take apart
> OFBiz and fix issues for the community quickly. STILL, taking it apart
> takes that bit longer than for you to point me the way.
>
> I'm also footing the bill in helping you guys thrash out
> problems/issues with OFBiz. The more you help get me up to speed, the
> sooner I can contribute, the sooner I can get efficient and save costs
> for myself and everybody else too.
>
> And I did try to meet the community folks more than halfway. It even
> came to me tracing the code execution and feeding back to the
> community what I found. Chances are high it's a critical bug in
> OpenTaps related to Job Shop, if Jacopo is right about things.
>
> Like I said before, if time pressures get worse, esp because I can't
> get up to speed soon enough what with all the mind-boggling
> kinks/bugs, I'll have no choice but to bury my head into working on
> OFBiz, not with OFBiz. That'll mean I won't have time to give back to
> the community.
>
> I don't see a problem updating my own OFBiz branch with the official
> OFBiz branch periodically. I can easily enough audit every change
> between say revision 1000 and 1500, and merge in the changes without
> breaking anything in the official or personal OFBiz. But I REALLY wish
> to dump my work back to the community, if for nothing else, simply to
> have someone audit my work.
>
> I wonder what happened to OpenTaps. Should've been easy enough to
> avoid compatibility issues as long as OFBiz changes are systematically
> audited against OpenTaps' features/interfaces. Are systematic audits
> done before rolling out OpenTaps releases? We'll see what Si Chen
> says. Still not yet sure if the Job Shop problem is in OpenTaps or in
> OFBiz. Will find out soon enough.
>
> Thanks a lot for your time. You did give me several major jumpstarts.

Nothing has happened to opentaps.  It works for me, but you should try
reading the manual to see how to configure it.

Re: Starting and completing a production run

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
On Jan 5, 2007, at 12:44 PM, Andrew Sykes wrote:

> +1 For leaving the jars in place. It always makes me wince when I have
> to trawl the web to look for all the dependencies when installing
> something.
>
> Seems funny to be discussing an auto-installer and stripping out
> all the
> jars in the same week!
>
> I guess it just goes to show how different people's perspectives are.

Yes, this is a perfect example of the glory of the open source
way... ;) If there is an opinion, it will come out sooner or later,
and sometimes some interesting combinations all at once.

It's years of hearing these sorts of perspectives that has lead me to
lose my faith (well, not that I ever really had any) in a one size
fits all type of solution for just about anything.

-David

Re: Starting and completing a production run

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
I agree with Jacques, the first is a *must*, the second is optional (a
nice reading).

Jacopo

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
What about MAMAL ? ;p

Jacques

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
I don't see any other direction for OFBiz to aspire towards. Always good to have a superset of
features, then customize or cut down for specialized needs.

Eg, the Party concept is flexible and great, so I can even make my cat a "person". So is the
Product concept, allowing for multi-level BOMs easily.

By the way, I've just completed my testing of the Job Shop problem (the reason I started this
thread). Will post my findings in this thread.

Jonathon

Posted by Andrew Sykes <an...@sykesdevelopment.com>.

--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <an...@sykesdevelopment.com>

Re: Starting and completing a production run

Posted by Andrew Sykes <an...@sykesdevelopment.com>.

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
David,

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
Sorry, I realized that my description below seems to indicate that Jacopo's service
getManufacturingComponents has an error. That isn't true.

I meant Financials module's LedgerServices::postRawMaterialIssuancesToGl() bombs, not the service
getManufacturingComponents. The postRawMaterialIssuancesToGl() function calls
UtilCOGS::getProductAverageCost().

It's not a problem with service getManufacturingComponents, or with calculateProductCosts. The
point of failure in Financials module's UtilCOGS::getProductAverageCost() is due to the fact that
the calculated cost is zero. Why zero? Because ETH_BRAND has no BOM components! (Jacopo has told
me that the service calculateProductCosts CAN return value of zero, not a bug there.)

If it's not too much trouble, could somebody enlighten me on the actual processes that goes on
inside service calculateProductCosts? It's called with parameters productId, currencyUomId,
costComponentTypePrefix, and userLogin. Specifically, I'd like to know exactly which numbers the
service will add up. Does it have to look into the product's BOM components? If there's a way for
the service to return a non-zero value, we can work around Financials module's
UtilCOGS::getProductAverageCost(). Does the service look at standard prices/costs for the product?

I'll ask on OpenTaps forums about resolving this issue.

Jonathon

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
David,

> Yes, if you're having problems the _first_ thing you should do is try it
> with the latest OFBiz from SVN, and without the OSS financials or crmsfa
> modules in place.

OFBiz works. Yes, you're right (Jacopo too) that this has something to do with OpenTaps' financial
module. Nothing in the docs yet. Si Chen said on the financial forums that configuration
instructions are in "Users Manual...Financials, Managing Inventory document". There's a
UserDocs.htm and TechnicalDocs.htm in /hot-deploy/financial/docs, but they don't contain a section
on "Managing Inventory".

It all comes down to 2 paths taken by financial module upon issuance of component in Job Shop
(after starting routing task), taken by UtilsCOGS::getProductAverageCost(). The entity
"ProductAverageCost" will be searched first, failing which the product module service
"calculateProductCosts" will be called, which in turn gets to BOM service
"getManufacturingComponents". That's where it bombs, because ETH_BRAND has no BOM components.

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
Jacopo,

Posted by Si Chen <si...@opensourcestrategies.com>.
Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
> Jonathon,
>
> Jonathon -- Improov wrote:
>> Jacopo,
>>
>> Erm, I just sent you another email. I hacked in and found the
>> problem. It's got something to do with BOMs. Yes, the code execution
>> path does run through Si Chen's financial module. But his
>> UtilCOGS.java calls OFBiz's BOM services (getManufacturingComponents,
>> to be exact).
>>
>> Si Chen's ProductAverageCost records seems auto-generated at some
>> point, upon some transaction in OFBiz. However, upon failing to find
>> a relevant record in ProductAverageCost, Si Chen's codes goes to
>> OFBiz's getProductCost service. Somehow, that traces back to the BOM
>> services. Well, we can say that Si Chen could've given us an easier
>> error message.
>>
> The pc production run should complete correctly without the need to
> set BOMs; this is a financial configuration issue and I can't be of
> great help now, sorry. Maybe Si would help you to spot the problem.
>
>> Please help? :P No more reverse-engineering for me, please. Not when
>> there's such an expert community here. I'm trying to defer to the
>> expert community as much as possible, and not waste God-given time.
>>
>> Overall, it seems the Job Shop area has quite a few kinks. But I'm
>> hoping that's because I was using it in very unusual unexpected ways.
> Well, let's say that the manufacturing processes will work correctly
> only after a complete system setup is done (including routing, boms,
> costs), especially if you want to run it with the financial processes:
> so if there is a problem somewhere it will appear.
> Also, the existing manufacturing framework has been built to be as
> general as possible; however not all the manufacturing aspects are
> already covered by the existing code (or are managed if you follow
> precise workflows and data configuration). This is what our customers
> are doing.
> I'd suggest to focus on what you are trying to achieve, try to see if
> you can find it in OFBiz, and if not, post your question on a precise
> issue here: it will be easier for us to help you.
>
> Jacopo
>

>> Jonathon
>>
>> Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>>> Jonathon,

>>> Ah yes, this is a configuration issue: using the webtools add a
>>> record in ProductAverageCost for each of the components of your pc
>>> and it should work (it is needed by the Opentap's financial component).
>>>
>>> Jacopo

Jonathon,

We haven't modified anything which would have affected it, but it could
require some special configuration.

In general, please ask questions about the financials module on the
sourceforge forum for it.  It's not part of OFBIZ.

Si

Re: Starting and completing a production run

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Jonathon,

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
Jacopo,

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Jonathon,

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
On Jan 5, 2007, at 1:30 AM, Jonathon -- Improov wrote:

> Jacopo,
>
> Sorry, I may have done a myriad of other actions to get the
> "required parameter is missing".
>
> The real error (where it all starts) is probably this:
>
> "Service Error [postRawMaterialIssuancesToGl]: Unable to find a
> product average cost for product [ETH_BRAND] in organization
> [Company]".
>
> Under Product -> Prices, I've created a new price entry "Average
> Cost". Still doesn't work.
>
> Anyway, the reproduce the whole thing, simply order a PC001 from
> the storefront, then go to Job Shop to try to complete the
> automatically generated production run.

Jonathon,

Again I'm guessing it's pretty likely that the documentation for the
OpenSourceStrategies financials module would address this, and what
setup needs to be done to get ready for it. I'd start there.

-David

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
Jacopo,

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
On Jan 5, 2007, at 12:51 AM, Jonathon -- Improov wrote:

> Hi David and Si Chen,
>
> Do you happen to know how OpenTaps is constructed from OFBiz? How
> is OpenTaps tested for "integrity and compatibility with self"? How
> closely are new updates to OFBiz monitored and audited before
> merging into OpenTaps?

I think I'll have to defer to Si on this one as I'm really not
involved with opentaps at all (though I think it's great, but yeah I
covet it and wish it were in OFBiz... ;) ).

There may be some information on the OpenSourceStrategies about this
stuff.

> Is it better for me to just use the latest OFBiz, and weave in
> OpenTaps' CRM and Accounting (the finance module?)?

I'm always a big advocate for using the latest from OFBiz, you can
see why with the information here:

http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/rwM

Still, I don't think Open Source Strategies tries to keep the
financials and crmsfa modules up to date with the very latest from
the OFBiz trunk, but rather with their opentaps snapshots. For our
clients we recommend going with a recent OFBiz revision and to
continue to update up until they are ready for integration testing.
With the financials and crmsfa modules, we just work through those
like we would anything else and research and fix problems if/when
they come up for functionality our clients need.

-David

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
Hi David and Si Chen,

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
Jacopo,

See my previous email below for how to reproduce the error. I get the error right when I'm adding

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
Jonathon,

Chances are Jacopo will have to answer this, or someone else more
familiar than I am with the manufacturing piece.

For whoever answers it, chances are it will help them a LOT if you
can more specific than "strange error message". There are quite a
number of strange error messages in OFBiz, so including the messages
from the browser in your email is helpful, and 10 times more helpful
than that even would be to look up the corresponding error messages
and stack traces in the log file and include those in the message.

With that kind of detail sometimes anyone familiar with OFBiz, even
though not necessarily with that part of OFBiz, can give you a pretty
good idea of what layer of hell you've found yourself in... ;)

-David