Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Donald Miller <da...@hotmail.com> on 2015/10/27 00:57:10 UTC

Unwanted interference in text formatting.

Unwanted interference in text formatting.

In plain text editors, I can manually control formatting, spacing,
numbering, indent, et cetera.
For example, it is straightforward
1. to start a number list,
2. and continue
without any unwanted indents or font changes, like a typewriter.

LibreOffice Writer allows the same free control.
MS Office and Apache Open Office impose indents, spaces, often modify fonts.
I can paste from a text editor to AOO swriter and bypass that interference.

Can AOO be made to stop this? My template should only set margins and fonts.
If not, I will move to Libre. I no longer collaborate with other authors.

AOO also, at least in spreadsheets, can paste URLs with dark gray cell
backgrounds.
I understand blue, or auto-underline (which I prefer OFF), but not dark
cell.

LibreOffice is not perfect. The 'recent files' list is a space wasting
series of images,
hidden extensions, whereas AOO can show simple list of files with full
path names,
just like any good DOS or Win file manager.

Funny thing, as I tested this text and a spreadsheet in AOO and LO, I
found that
'recent files' can drop the graphics for simple full path list. I'll try
to learn why/how.

Regards / Don Miller

Re: Unwanted interference in text formatting.

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.

On 27-Oct-15 10:57, Donald Miller wrote:
> Unwanted interference in text formatting.
>
> In plain text editors, I can manually control formatting, spacing,
> numbering, indent, et cetera.
> For example, it is straightforward
> 1. to start a number list,
> 2. and continue
> without any unwanted indents or font changes, like a typewriter.
>
> LibreOffice Writer allows the same free control.
> MS Office and Apache Open Office impose indents, spaces, often modify
> fonts.
> I can paste from a text editor to AOO swriter and bypass that
> interference.

Nobody is imposing indents, spaces or fonts. You're in control.
Just change the Default Style and remove the indent, set the font you
like and delete all other Styles.

Once you have changed it save it as your default template.
Or even better use notepad it has all the features you need.

> Can AOO be made to stop this? My template should only set margins and
> fonts.
> If not, I will move to Libre. I no longer collaborate with other authors.

Or is it that other authors don't collaborate with you?

> AOO also, at least in spreadsheets, can paste URLs with dark gray cell
> backgrounds.
> I understand blue, or auto-underline (which I prefer OFF), but not
> dark cell.

Again, you are in control go to Tools --> Options --> OpenOffice -->
Appearance and set it according your needs.

> LibreOffice is not perfect. The 'recent files' list is a space wasting
> series of images,
> hidden extensions, whereas AOO can show simple list of files with full
> path names,
> just like any good DOS or Win file manager.

There is no perfect application/software package there are only annoying
and less annoying packages.
The question is can you master the software as you're still the boss.

> Funny thing, as I tested this text and a spreadsheet in AOO and LO, I
> found that
> 'recent files' can drop the graphics for simple full path list. I'll
> try to learn why/how.

That's what it is all about "Keep Learning".