Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Mattison, Jacob" <JM...@uarts.edu> on 2004/11/15 16:33:04 UTC

[users@httpd] Clicking a link versus typing an address

I have spoken to two users of our system who have had the following experience:

They tried to get to our page by clicking a link from another page.  They received a blank screen that sat for a long time and eventually timed out.  However, if they try to get to our page by typing in the address (the same address that was in the link) it works fine.

Any suggestions as to how this could happen?  Is there any difference at all between an http request made by clicking a link and a request made by typing an address, assuming the addresses are the same (other than the Referer: header, of course)?

One difference that could be the problem: the link is to "http://portal.server.edu/", while the user was typing "http://portal.server.edu".  That is, the user did not type the trailing slash.  The file that should be served in either case is "http://portal.server.edu/index.htm".  This happens properly when I test, and for the vast majority of our users.  I've heard of problems that occur when the trailing slash is left out, but not when it's present, as in this case (except with the "alias" directive.  Which I'm not using).  Plus the error is very rare -- two users I'm aware of out of thousands.  Both are on Macs, if it makes a difference.

Thanks very much for any suggestions!

Jacob Mattison
Web Developer

Re: [users@httpd] Clicking a link versus typing an address

Posted by Dick Davies <ra...@hellooperator.net>.
* Mattison, Jacob <JM...@uarts.edu> [1133 15:33]:
> I have spoken to two users of our system who have had the following experience:
>
> They tried to get to our page by clicking a link from another page.  They received a blank screen that sat for a long time and eventually timed out.  However, if they try to get to our page by typing in the address (the same address that was in the link) it works fine.

It can't be the same link.

> One difference that could be the problem: the link is to "http://portal.server.edu/", while the user was typing "http://portal.server.edu".

Right, that's a difference. The server uses ServerName and UseCanonicalName to redirect you, one of those directives is wrong.
(Have a look in your server logs, you should see the initial request).
Can't remember the details but I remember it being a pig to debug, and only went away when we fixed our DNS.
Since then we don't start apache without DNS being setup :)

--
Oh, wait you're serious. Let me laugh even harder. - Bender