Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> on 2017/06/19 21:36:34 UTC

Fwd: Summary of in person meeting?

Forwarding with permission.

- Sam Ruby

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>
Date: Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 10:09 AM
Subject: Re: Summary of in person meeting?
To: private@whimsical.apache.org

Sam Ruby wrote on 6/18/17 8:38 AM:
> On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 7:50 AM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> As I understand it, there was an in person meeting this week and the subject
>> of the future of Whimsy was brought up.  Can someone who was there provide a
>> summary on list of this discussion?

Everything we decided about the future of Whimsy is already checked in. 8-)

It was primarily learning, brainstorming, and debugging, where Craig and
I could ask Sam "where is / what does X do / why the heck doesn't Z work
on my machine" about little things.

> Craig and Shane had an afternoon flight, I didn't leave until late
> morning; so the three of us got together for a few hours in the
> morning, and Craig and Shane went off to the airport lounge together.
>
> I don't recall us talking about the future of Whimsy.  In fact, the
> only "productive" item I recall was debugging why git and svn files
> could no longer be found in Shane's development environment (for some
> reason, it was incorrectly computing his the home directory for his
> id).

Fixed (I think, still need to test) here:

https://github.com/apache/whimsy/commit/5cde2bddfad53740e203d06410c1f484ca0e12a4

> Some mention of documentation was made, spurring me to start on
> https://whimsy.apache.org/docs/api/

1-Brainstorming: whimsy will someday need SLAs for specific tools that
are widely used ((P)PMC roster updating) or are urgent (board agenda).
While most independent tools don't need that, some files do need better
doc and maintenance ability - in particular, the whimsy/asf gem.

The ASF:: classes there are widely used by different tools in different
ways and provide a lot of functionality.  Thus, Sam's taking the first
step to implement RDoc and is starting to write docs for those classes.

1-Brainstorming: ideas for styling the roster tool.  I plan to add the
"house style" of _whimsy_body to most scripts soon, as well as better
styling tables/lists for read-only data in various places.  Pages that
primarily display read-only data will be tweaked to use more obvious
bootstrap styles like the other tools now do.

Then we talked about how to define our UX style for *editable* data,
like the (P)PMC roster lists.  There, we have multiple sets of data that
allow several different kinds of editing, to those who have access (i.e.
are on right PMC, are member, whatever).  In particular, those lists
server several purposes - clicking on the userID links to the person's
data; we also show names, but we *also* want people to be able to edit
the list of names by changing status of a name or adding new ones.

The proposal we have is to keep the listing of people in a pmc or
committer list mostly as-is, but add a glyphicon-pencil icon to each row
that's editable.  The pencil metaphor is then "edit this line" as
Google's MDL language uses; single click will pop up the operations a
user can take (change or delete, I'm guessing).  We then need a
glyphicon icon at the end of the row that allows a user to add a new
entry to the row, as a *button* to signal action is possible:

  https://getbootstrap.com/components/#glyphicons-examples

Other thoughts welcome!

--

- Shane
  https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/resources

Re: Summary of in person meeting?

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Other thought:

Remove double click and plus buttons, and associated explanation text.
Add a small number of buttons, with names something like Add, Modify,
and Remove.  Colors and locations of these buttons TBD.  For example,
they could be pinned to the bottom, just like the board agenda tool.

Pressing these buttons would either traverse to another page (example:
from /roster/committee/whimsy to /roster/committee/whimsy/add), or
would morph the page in place.

For modify and delete operations, checkboxes would appear before every
line, allowing you to select multiple entries.  Buttons could adjust
based on the section.  Pushing a button would result in a confirmation
dialog.

For add operations, a clearly labeled search box would enable the
selection of individuals to be added.  Adding a user would cause that
individual to show up in a separate list.  Buttons could be present to
add the individuals as mentors, PPMC members, or merely as committers.
Again, pushing a button would result in a confirmation dialog.

- Sam Ruby