Posted to user@struts.apache.org by wb...@Ensign-BickfordInd.com on 2002/07/29 16:58:31 UTC

Initialization in a dispatchAction class

Heya,

I have a number of DispatchAction based classes that run various
reports.  They also handle the pre-population of the report request
screen drop down boxes...   This is handled currently with an "init"
method.  So the first time a screen calls the report selection page is
submits it as:   actioname.do?action=init

I dont like this.   I would prefer:

(1) To institute init as the default method if the parameter is not
present...
(2) Have another action that starts it by transparently calling the
class and adding on the action=init

I've played with a bunch of different ways and it all seems to fail
me...

Any ideas?

Re: Initialization in a dispatchAction class

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.
wbchmura@Ensign-BickfordInd.com wrote:

>Heya,
>
>I have a number of DispatchAction based classes that run various
>reports.  They also handle the pre-population of the report request
>screen drop down boxes...   This is handled currently with an "init"
>method.  So the first time a screen calls the report selection page is
>submits it as:   actioname.do?action=init
>
>I dont like this.   I would prefer:
>
>(1) To institute init as the default method if the parameter is not
>present...
>(2) Have another action that starts it by transparently calling the
>class and adding on the action=init
>

>I've played with a bunch of different ways and it all seems to fail
>me...
>
>Any ideas?

Perhaps you could save us the effort of suggesting things you have
already tried by telling us what you have tried? :-)