Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Yabo-Arber Xu <ar...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/21 11:17:19 UTC

Retrying connect to server error

Greetings,

I am right now using hbase in our project in "stand-alone" mode. It worked
well until today I found the following message in the log:

2008-07-21 01:16:38,564 FATAL org.apache.hadoop.hbase.HMaster: Not starting
HMaster because: org.apache.hadoop.hbase.FileSystemVersionException: File
system needs to be upgraded. Run the '${HBASE_HOME}/bin/hbase migrate'
script.

I actually did not do any version change recently. But, anyway, i followed
the message and tried to do "hbase migrate", but it keeps showing me the
following error:

08/07/21 02:11:51 INFO ipc.Client: Retrying connect to server: localhost/
127.0.0.1:60000. Already tried 1 time(s).

The same error occurs when i try to do any query through hbase shell. This
is just wierd....I did not touch any part of the hbase, and the error just
sundenly came out. Any ideas why?

Thanks for your help! The whole project is just stuck here by this error.

Arber

--
Yabo-Arber Xu <yx...@cs.sfu.ca>
Web: http://www.cs.sfu.ca/~yxu/personal/<http://www.cs.sfu.ca/%7Eyxu/personal/>

Re: Retrying connect to server error

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@gmail.com>.
Well you can have the Namenode, Datanode, Master and RegionServer on the
same machine but there will be an overhead for sure. Scaling is the name of
the game in this type of distributed system so it is designed to be "easy"
to scale. For example, if you go from 1 to 2 machines, just adding the IP of
the second one in the Namenode and Master config and starting the Datanode
and RegionServer processes will do the job. Then you will have to balance
data but that's all described in the Hadoop documentation (and mailing
list). Rinse and repeat.

Eventually, if you have all your data replicated on many machines, you will
be able to shut down the Datanode and RegionServer of the first machine.

It gets more dirty than this but that's basically what you have to do.

J-D

Posted by Yabo-Arber Xu <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@gmail.com>.
Arber,