Posted to ojb-user@db.apache.org by Da...@Equifax.com on 2002/12/10 17:32:01 UTC

Question about caching

Running OJB 0.9.4 with JSDK1.4 on Win2000

Our application starts by loading a list of all 'projects'. This populates
the object graph for each project. For each project there is a link to view
the details of that project. During my testing, I was surprised to discover
that (using ObjectCacheDefaultImpl) the cache was empty when an individual
project was requested. It appears that the objects involved in a
transaction are cleared from the cache at the end of the transaction (even
though the transaction involves just a query). So on the first page, when
the list of projects is requested, each project is loaded into the cache,
then removed. So when I click on the link for a particular project, rather
than pulling that information from the cache, it is requested from the db
again (and loaded into the cache and removed).

My question is, has this behavior changed with 0.9.7? I know that I could
try it with 0.9.7, but that has resulted in a ClassCastException when I
request an individual project. I will post more information on this issue
once I dig into it further, but at this time it appears to be coming out of
classes12.zip. I noticed that 0.9.7 has a PermanentObjectCacheImpl. Is this
what I want to be using rather than ObjectCacheDefaultImpl, or will I need
to write my own cache implementation that will restrict the size of the
cache and perhaps discard least-recently-used objects in order to maintain
that size restriction?

TIA,,
Dave Derry

This message contains information from Equifax Inc. which may be
confidential and privileged.  If you are not an intended recipient, please
refrain from any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
information and note that such actions are prohibited.  If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify by e-mail
postmaster@equifax.com.