Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@cloudera.com.INVALID> on 2023/02/21 13:42:54 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 3.3.5

Apache Hadoop 3.3.5

Mukund and I have put together a release candidate (RC1) for Hadoop 3.3.5.

What we would like is for anyone who can to verify the tarballs, especially
anyone who can try the arm64 binaries as we want to include them too.

The RC is available at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/hadoop/hadoop-3.3.5-RC1/

The git tag is release-3.3.5-RC1, commit 274f91a3259

The maven artifacts are staged at
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1368/

You can find my public key at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/hadoop/common/KEYS

Change log
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/hadoop/hadoop-3.3.5-RC1/CHANGELOG.md

Release notes
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/hadoop/hadoop-3.3.5-RC1/RELEASENOTES.md

This is off branch-3.3 and is the first big release since 3.3.2.

Key changes include

* Big update of dependencies to try and keep those reports of
  transitive CVEs under control -both genuine and false positives.
* HDFS RBF enhancements
* Critical fix to ABFS input stream prefetching for correct reading.
* Vectored IO API for all FSDataInputStream implementations, with
  high-performance versions for file:// and s3a:// filesystems.
  file:// through java native io
  s3a:// parallel GET requests.
* This release includes Arm64 binaries. Please can anyone with
  compatible systems validate these.

Note, because the arm64 binaries are built separately on a different
platform and JVM, their jar files may not match those of the x86
release -and therefore the maven artifacts. I don't think this is
an issue (the ASF actually releases source tarballs, the binaries are
there for help only, though with the maven repo that's a bit blurred).

The only way to be consistent would actually untar the x86.tar.gz,
overwrite its binaries with the arm stuff, retar, sign and push out
for the vote. Even automating that would be risky.

Please try the release and vote. The vote will run for 5 days.

Steve and Mukund

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 3.3.5

Posted by Ayush Saxena <ay...@gmail.com>.

>  And i
> think we need to change the PR template to mention transitive updates in
> the license bit too

Not sure if that is gonna help, People might ignore that or check that in
overconfidence. No harm though..

BTW Ozone has some cool stuff to handle this, it was added here:
https://github.com/apache/ozone/pull/2199

It checks for each PR, if the changes bring any new transitive dependency
or not and if it does, it flags that and then licence and all can be
managed. Worth exploring....

-Ayush

Posted by Ayush Saxena <ay...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ayush Saxena <ay...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ayush Saxena <ay...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

#2 is the blocker...and it looks like 3.2.x will also need fixup as well as

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

#2 is the blocker...and it looks like 3.2.x will also need fixup as well as

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

#2 is the blocker...and it looks like 3.2.x will also need fixup as well as

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

#2 is the blocker...and it looks like 3.2.x will also need fixup as well as

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.