Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org> on 2003/12/30 14:06:08 UTC

svn:eol-style, WAS: RE: Changes for Subversion

On Tue, 2003-12-30 at 13:58, Chetan Jhurani wrote:
> > From: Sander Striker
> > > using Visual C++ 6.0 or later, ActivePerl, and nmake as your build
> > > tools. They recognize unix newlines with no problem.
> >
> > Recognise yes, honor no.  IOW, once you save a file in VS it gets \r\n
> > line endings.
>
> Talking of VC6 SP5 and VC 7.1 - they don't convert \n to \r\n.

Hmm, I could have sworn VC6 SP5 did, but I won't go and install it to
check.  AFAIK, I'm using VC7 (included in VS.NET), but I'd have to
boot into windows to check.  Must admit I haven't consciously checked
with that, although I think I had the same problem there.

In any case, setting svn:eol-style native will make sure that you don't
run into this, no matter what editor you use.

Sander

Re: svn:eol-style, WAS: RE: Changes for Subversion

Posted by Sidney Markowitz <si...@sidney.com>.
Sander Striker wrote:
>>>Recognise yes, honor no.  IOW, once you save a file in VS it gets \r\n
>>>line endings.
>>
>>Talking of VC6 SP5 and VC 7.1 - they don't convert \n to \r\n.
>

> Hmm, I could have sworn VC6 SP5 did

No, I confirmed it in VC6 by loading a unix-style newline file, making a
change in it and saving it... It still had unix style newlines.

I have to admit that I only assumed that Visual Studio .Net (VC 7) would
do the same thing, but if VC 6 does I that's a good assumption. I can
confirm it tomorrow at work where I have VC 7.

I don't think we have to worry about anything older than VC 6.

Remember, this only is a problem if a commiter is using an editor that
plays badly with unix newlines. There are not many people with commit
rights.

  -- sidney