Posted to community@apache.org by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/28 11:09:07 UTC

Low level community

Hi  Folks,
community@ is the orrect place for this question.
What do we* do when we have low level activity, low level community,
generally speaking low level anything on a project?
I am NOT talking about the attic.
I am committed to ensuring the project is NOT going to the attic.
Lewis

* in the collective sense. Your, I, Us, Etc.

--
*Lewis*

Re: Low level community

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

> I wonder if the Attic needs a page on "Staying out of the Attic" :)

That's a great idea. While there are a number of good, positive reasons for
entering the attic, some projects slip there because they don't know how to
attract new interest.

Re: Low level community

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.
+1 to the decoupling part. The bigger the bump to join in, the less people
will join.

Other important items imo:

* What is the value of your project? Is it valuable? Who is it valuable to?
What is the larger community it is related to and what are the trends in
that community? Are you also trending the same way? Basically put on a
devil advocate hat, and try to convince yourself that your project is worth
using.
* Once you've identified where that larger community is, tweet to them (or
other communication method). A quiet but constant monologue, a heartbeat. I
think communities get the heartbeat at the gut level, a project whose
heartbeat can't be heard is assumed to be dead. You need to establish that
beat.
* Communicate todo items too. If your community is full of hard core
hackers, send out the gnarly problems while you fix the build. If, more
typically, your project hides the painful and makes life easier for users,
then typically you would send out the simpler issues while you deal with
the gnarly.

I wonder if the Attic needs a page on "Staying out of the Attic" :)

Hen

Re: Low level community

Posted by Santiago Gala <sa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Low level community

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On 06/28/2014 05:09 AM, Lewis John Mcgibbney wrote:
> Hi  Folks,
> community@ is the orrect place for this question.
> What do we* do when we have low level activity, low level community,
> generally speaking low level anything on a project?
> I am NOT talking about the attic.
> I am committed to ensuring the project is NOT going to the attic.
> Lewis
>
> * in the collective sense. Your, I, Us, Etc.

Although the answers you received from the board perspective ("low level
activity is fine") is correct, strictly speaking, from the perspective
of the ASF, the larger question is one which consumes many books,
websites, and conferences. Indeed many projects employ a full-time
Community Manager to answer the question.

Ross's answer has many of the elements of the day-to-day job of a
community manager, or one that is shared by the whole community when you
don't have someone to do it full time.

Encourage people to blog about what they do on the project - even the
mundane things. What seems every-day to a project developer may be what
a beginner needs to get more involved. It doesn't have to be something
new and amazing, but just a daily chore or how to install or how to do
the *normal* things done by your project.

Be sure you answer the "what does it do" question thoroughly, including
user stories of how people use it.

Tweet about it when you do a new release, a new feature, a new event, or
whatever. Get the word out. /cc @theASF on the tweet, so that more of us
see it and retweet it. Email the users@ list about every new
development. Be excited about things and it will be catching.

Find other people talking about your project and encourage them to come
talk about it at ApacheCon, on your mailing lists, on your Twitter, on
Facebook.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: Low level community

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 7:27 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 1:22 PM, Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> wrote:
>> ...With a large number of TLPs, some are going to be in this state.  Not
>> attic-worthy, still useful, minimal active development...
>
> Agreed - and from the board's point of view it's good for such
> projects to mention in their reports that although their activity is
> minimal, they do have at least 3 active PMC members who can step in
> when needed. If that's the case, low activity and small communities
> are fine.

+1

I've added a note to this affect to the "Describe the overall activity
in the project over the past quarter." bullet in

http://www.apache.org/foundation/board/reporting

> -Bertrand

- Sam Ruby

Re: Low level community

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: Low level community

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
I think that a project that has a low level of activity is fine.  As
long as it can do its board reports to show that there is some level of
monitoring, and that the PMC believes it can get the necessary 3 votes
(with adequate notice) then so be it.  Some software (eventually!)
works.  That software is still be valuable to the users.

With a large number of TLPs, some are going to be in this state.  Not
attic-worthy, still useful, minimal active development.

	Andy

RE: Low level community

Re: Low level community

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.