Posted to hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com> on 2011/09/08 00:03:56 UTC

Merging trunk, 0.23.0, HA?

Hey all,

I'm trying to reconcile some of the recent changes in trunk, HA, and
0.23. In particular, I'm hoping to merge HDFS-2197 back into both of
those branches. If we don't perform this merge, then any modification
to the RPC methods in the NameNode will require manual re-application.

At this point, I'm thinking of doing the following:
- merge all of the recent trunk commits into HA branch
- cherry-pick just this commit from trunk into 0.23.

Does that seem like the correct strategy? Does anyone object to
HDFS-2197 going in 0.23.0 branch?

Thanks
-Todd
--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: Merging trunk, 0.23.0, HA?

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
Assuming this is OK, I have a candidate merge here:

https://github.com/toddlipcon/hadoop-common/tree/hdfs-1623-merged-trunk-20110907

This carries over Suresh's changes from HDFS-1974 into the refactored
NameNodeRpcServer.

Thanks,
-Todd

Re: Merging trunk, 0.23.0, HA?

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
Tests passed, so I committed this merge to the HA branch. Sometimes
the git mirror is slow in picking up these merges until the next
non-merge commit happens on the branch. If it hasn't picked it up in a
few hours, I'll do some kind of no-op commit to kick the git mirror :)

-Todd

Re: Merging trunk, 0.23.0, HA?

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 Todd.

Re: Merging trunk, 0.23.0, HA?

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm trying to reconcile some of the recent changes in trunk, HA, and
> 0.23. In particular, I'm hoping to merge HDFS-2197 back into both of
> those branches. If we don't perform this merge, then any modification
> to the RPC methods in the NameNode will require manual re-application.
>
> At this point, I'm thinking of doing the following:
> - merge all of the recent trunk commits into HA branch
> - cherry-pick just this commit from trunk into 0.23.

Seems reasonable.

Thanks,
Eli

Re: Merging trunk, 0.23.0, HA?

Posted by "Aaron T. Myers" <at...@cloudera.com>.
On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> At this point, I'm thinking of doing the following:
> - merge all of the recent trunk commits into HA branch
> - cherry-pick just this commit from trunk into 0.23.

+1, this seems to me like the appropriate way to go. Thanks a lot for
volunteering to do this, Todd.

--
Aaron T. Myers
Software Engineer, Cloudera