Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@antbuild.com> on 2003/07/15 00:19:09 UTC

Re: cvs commit: ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/optional/perforce P4OutputStream.java P4HandlerAdapter.java P4Revert.java P4Submit.java FStatP4OutputHandler.java P4Add.java P4Base.java P4Counter.java P4Label.java P4Handler.java P4Integrate.java

Re - Perforce optional tasks & checkstyle
After having done these changes (mostly whitespace changes, lines over 100
chars and javadoc) there remain a number of protected or public instance
variables which should be private.
I wonder whether we should break the API to make the code stick to the rules
?
Antoine

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 08:19 am, Antoine Levy-Lambert wrote:
> Re - Perforce optional tasks & checkstyle
> After having done these changes (mostly whitespace changes, lines over 100
> chars and javadoc) there remain a number of protected or public instance
> variables which should be private.
> I wonder whether we should break the API to make the code stick to the
> rules ?

No. We value compatibility over conformance to style. Once the number of
violations goes down, I will probably relax some rules for parts of the
codebase (see the current exceptions). Also Checkstyle will allow for more
fine grained control of rules to files in the future, I'm told.

Conor