Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by sharath reddy <re...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/26 21:41:39 UTC

[users@httpd] multiple apache instances-help

Hi All,

I want to use multiple instances of apache on diffrent ports, for that i
wrote differnt httpd.conf files for different ports(of course, each have
unique Listen port and httpd.pid files, log files), and i just loading httpd
multiple times with one config file for each port
 ( using  *apache/bin/apachectl -f apache/conf/httpd1.conf -k start*,  and
..... *httpd2.conf -k start*) , and it just seems to be working. Am I
heading in the right direction here?

Thanks

RE: [users@httpd] multiple apache instances-help

Posted by "Bjorgen T. Eatinger" <be...@edenhosting.net>.
Apache will load several more child instances in addition to each loaded instance as well, the number of which is limited by a setting in the httpd.conf file.  So for each initial load, you may have a dozen more instances running in memory as well, as each visitor comes to your server.

So running out of memory could be an issue.

Bjorgen

Apache on windows works fine with multiple instances. The Apache Monitor does a good job of keeping track of which instances are running, and their status.

Bill Angus, MA
http://www.psychtest.com

  I want to use multiple instances of apache on diffrent ports, for that i wrote differnt httpd.conf files for different ports(of course, each have unique Listen port and httpd.pid files, log files), and i just loading httpd multiple times with one config file for each port
   ( using  apache/bin/apachectl -f apache/conf/httpd1.conf -k start,  and ..... httpd2.conf -k start) , and it just seems to be working.  Am I heading in the right direction here?
  Thanks

believed to be clean.

Re: [users@httpd] multiple apache instances-help

Posted by Bill Angus <md...@psychtest.com>.