Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/19 17:21:53 UTC

Re: Using JMeter over subnets 192.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x

On 19/02/07, Bruno Dillenseger <br...@orange-ftgroup.com> wrote:
> Lenin Basheer wrote:
> > There is a certain clause being mentioned in the tutorial for JMeter
> > Distributed testing procedure, that the server and clients are to be
> > in the same subnet while testing over subnets of the kind , 192.x.x.x
> > or 10.x.x.x
> Roughly speaking, these addresses are IPv4 private addresses which shall
> not be routed. So, in principle, the remote servers and the Jmeter
> master won't be able to reach each other. Unless you can put a routing
> machine configured to actually route between such subnets (don't know if
> it's feasible - it may depend on IP implementation), the only workaround
> I see is to use non-private addresses...
>
> Anyway, for your evaluation, note this is not a special issue with
> Jmeter. Any distributed load testing tool (or application in general)
> would have the same problem.

Well put.

Copying to JMeter user list (where the thread really belongs).

Re: Using JMeter over subnets 192.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 21/02/07, Lenin Basheer <Le...@ibsplc.com> wrote:

> Hi All,

[Please use plain text, not HTML]

> Thanks for your responses.
>
> I hope it means with Jmeter I just need to have the remote clients and the controlling client in the same subnet, irrespective of the server location and the subnet IP. Please correct me if I am wrong.

No.

They do not need to be in the same subnet, so long as there is a route
between the hosts.

The problem with the 192.x.x.x and 10.x.x.x addresses is that they may
not be routed.

> What  i have been able to detect is anomalies in TPS calculation , which falls drastically with a client from another subnet is started. Your explaination is a fitting one , as it might not be able to contact the controlling client.

Please start a separate e-mail thread for this.

Posted by Lenin Basheer <Le...@ibsplc.com>.
Hi All,