Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU> on 1999/09/08 00:55:54 UTC

Re: atoms (was Re: [Negotiation] How to get rid of a Content-Encoding: header?)

>One of the reasons for having them in the request_rec is because
>manipulating them in the headers table is not as fast.  We've talked about
>a solution to this before -- using "atoms"... which lets us make the
>tables faster by mapping strings such as "Content-Encoding" to integers at
>compile-time, so that lookups/etc. are faster at run-time.

Yes, I'd be really happy if all the header manipulation stuff was
replaced with an efficient ADT that was specific to header fields
and not just a generic table.

It's on my list of post-doc things to do, but it would make a good
project for anyone.

....Roy

Re: atoms (was Re: [Negotiation] How to get rid of a Content-Encoding: header?)

Posted by Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com>.
On Wed, Sep 08, 1999 at 02:42:45PM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
> > What's an "ADT"?
>
> Abstract Data Type.

Ahh. I just haven't seen the term abbreviated. After high school, we
just called them "objects".

Re: atoms (was Re: [Negotiation] How to get rid of a Content-Encoding: header?)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 07, 1999 at 03:55:54PM -0700, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> > Yes, I'd be really happy if all the header manipulation stuff was
> > replaced with an efficient ADT
>
> What's an "ADT"?

Abstract Data Type.

Think "encapsulation" or "modularity".

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: atoms (was Re: [Negotiation] How to get rid of a Content-Encoding: header?)

Posted by Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com>.