Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/08 15:10:14 UTC

New Tomcat release? Out of the box bundle with Harmony?

Hey.

I'm working on Apache Harmony [1] which is J2SE implementation.

I want to suggest you to create Tomcat out of the box bundle on top of Harmony.
I've created such a bundle with the previous Harmony milestone release
[2]. It works but has areas for improvements... For example it's
possible to remove debug info from Harmony which is not needed in such
a bundle.

What do you think? Is such bundle interesting for Tomcat?

Thanks in advance.

SY, Alexey

[1] http://harmony.apache.org/
[2] http://harmony.apache.org/bundles.html

Re: New Tomcat release? Out of the box bundle with Harmony?

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
2007/11/14, Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>:
> > > If someone else were to build and maintain a Tomcat + Harmony
> > > download
>
> > I understand that such a bundle is mostly interested for Harmony not
> > for Tomcat :)
> The good idea could be to package Harmony with major ASF projects,
> like Tomcat, Geronimo, Ant, Axis/CXF.
> A sort of ASF goodies ready to use.
Yes, this is the target!

> We could see it in Fedora 8 Release with IcedTea and it's more a
> packaging activity than pure developpment.
>
> So I suggest you to see how Harmony could fit with leading Linux
> distributions (Suse, RH/Fedora/Ubuntu) and help them package it in
> their distro. May be with jpackage, may be directly with distributions
> (you could start to make RPM/DEB packages available for these
> distros).
Yep, we are working on such packages.

> For the Windows land, it's another story.
:)

SY, Alexey

Re: New Tomcat release? Out of the box bundle with Harmony?

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
> > If someone else were to build and maintain a Tomcat + Harmony
> > download

> I understand that such a bundle is mostly interested for Harmony not
> for Tomcat :)

The good idea could be to package Harmony with major ASF projects,
like Tomcat, Geronimo, Ant, Axis/CXF.

A sort of ASF goodies ready to use.

We could see it in Fedora 8 Release with IcedTea and it's more a
packaging activity than pure developpment.

So I suggest you to see how Harmony could fit with leading Linux
distributions (Suse, RH/Fedora/Ubuntu) and help them package it in
their distro. May be with jpackage, may be directly with distributions
(you could start to make RPM/DEB packages available for these
distros).

For the Windows land, it's another story.

Regards

Re: New Tomcat release? Out of the box bundle with Harmony?

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Yo,

On Nov 13, 2007 5:07 AM, Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Speaking of Harmony stability... We have rather big list of
> applications which are working with Harmony including Eclipse,

To be clear: I have no doubt of Harmony's quality and stability.  I've
used it, it's great.

I want to keep our end-user experience as simple and friendly as
possible, and our release management as simple and easy for us as
possible too.  That's why I don't want another bundle.

If someone else were to build and maintain a Tomcat + Harmony
download, I have no issue linking to that from our download pages.

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
> And the last is community thing... Yes! We need support from our Big
> ASF Brother! :)

+1

Re: New Tomcat release? Out of the box bundle with Harmony?

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
I understand your skepticism, Preston. To be honest it is very common
to be skeptical about Harmony.

And I agree that Harmony can not guarantee yet the level of stability
of old-mature-well-known-everybody-using-and-so-on JREs and beat them
in every aspect of performance. That's true.
We got a usual circle here: not mature enough - do not have customers,
do not have customers - can not be mature enough.

But from other hand Harmony has good and continuous progress and it
can provide unique benefits to it's customers even now. Just few
things right out of my head:
1. Apache License. We are all the part of ASF and I believe that
nobody doubts that ALv2 is a benefit for customers :)
2. Modularity - you can remove modules which are unneeded for your
application and reduce the size of bundle. For example javax.swing is
huge package and it's almost always not needed for server side
applications. Or you can choose your favorite GC.
3. Multiple VMs
4. Open source - usual benefits of open source software. You can debug
your application better and so on.
5. Community support - required fixes, improvements and so on.

Speaking of Harmony stability... We have rather big list of
applications which are working with Harmony including Eclipse,
EIOffice, JIRA, jEdit and so on. I do not remember all the
applications tested on Harmony but you can find more detailed list on
Harmony wiki [1]. Tomcat was one of the first application we've
enabled on Harmony and it look pretty well on it.
Performance... We are working on it and Harmony shows comparable
results on number of benchmarks. Yes, some benchmarks shows
significantly lower performance but you can not create production
quality JRE in one day :)

So that was pragmatical, user caring things.
However we also have ASF related things... Since we are all in ASF...
I believe you all knows about the issues with getting J2SE TCK for
Harmony and Apache has hard talks on this. Wider adoption of Harmony
will give ASF additional arguments in this talks. And the result of
this talks is important for all Java related open source community.

And the last is community thing... Yes! We need support from our Big
ASF Brother! :)

Actually we do not need too much support. Bundle creation support,
link to the bundle from Tomcat site and some free-time testing/bug
filing/areas for improvement suggestion would be enough :)

Thanks in advance.

SY, Alexey

1. http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Application_Status

Posted by "Preston L. Bannister" <pr...@bannister.us>.

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
> > BTW, Harmony people, may I suggest you be to contact the JPackage team
> > (www.jpackage.org).
> Thanks for pointing to this project, Henri.

No problem and happy to help.

I was involved in Jpackage some times ago (member and co-founder)

Cheers

Re: New Tomcat release? Out of the box bundle with Harmony?

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Rossbach <pr...@objektpark.de>.
Hi Alexey,

I think it is a great idea to bundle harmony with tomcat. Ok, I also
agree with Yoav and Costin that bundle building and hosting is
harmony team job.
How can I help you to made the harmony/tomcat bundle ready? But I am
working at a Mac and I am very interested to get a java 6  up and
running:-(

Regards
Peter

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
Now Tomcat is also a cool pojo application server
Posted by Costin Manolache <co...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 8, 2007 6:15 AM, Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> On Nov 8, 2007 9:10 AM, Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I want to suggest you to create Tomcat out of the box bundle on top of
> Harmony.
> > I've created such a bundle with the previous Harmony milestone release
> > [2]. It works but has areas for improvements... For example it's
> > possible to remove debug info from Harmony which is not needed in such
> > a bundle.
> >
> > What do you think? Is such bundle interesting for Tomcat?
>
> Personally, I want to move the Tomcat downloads in a simpler
> direction, removing options not adding them.  So I'm not in favor of
> various bundles and combinations.
>
> Yoav

On the other side - it may be a good thing to have a 'all apache java
software' bundle, or to bundle tomcat with harmony ( but on harmony side ).

I agree tomcat should go to less options and bundles.

Costin

Re: New Tomcat release? Out of the box bundle with Harmony?

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hey,