Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Brian Minchau <mi...@ca.ibm.com> on 2006/11/20 19:33:46 UTC

XSLTC does not support JRE 1.2

In reviewing the documentation for the Xalan 2.7.1 release read this page:
    http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/xsltc_usage.html
where it said:
<<
To compile and run translets, you just use JDK (or JRE) 1.3.1 or higher.

Curious, the PMC just voted to stop supporting JDK (or JRE) 1.1.x

I don't remember that we ever agreed to drop support for 1.2 for XSLTC, but
that sentance has been in our documentation since August 2005 (maybe
earlier).

- Brian

Re: XSLTC does not support JRE 1.2

Posted by Henry Zongaro <zo...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi, Brian.

Brian Minchau/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA wrote on 2006-11-20 01:33:46 PM:
> In reviewing the documentation for the Xalan 2.7.1 release read this
page:
>     http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/xsltc_usage.html
> where it said:
> <<
> To compile and run translets, you just use JDK (or JRE) 1.3.1 or higher.
> >>

> Curious, the PMC just voted to stop supporting JDK (or JRE) 1.1.x
>
> I don't remember that we ever agreed to drop support for 1.2 for XSLTC,
but
> that sentance has been in our documentation since August 2005 (maybe
> earlier).

It looks like Sarah McNamara made this change to the documentation in
preparation for the Xalan-J 2.7.0 release.[1]  I don't know that we
discussed it.  It could be that she made that change because JDK 1.3.1 was
used to build Xalan-J 2.7.0 and nobody had done any testing of the release
on JDK 1.2.x - but that's just a guess.

Thanks,

Henry
[1]