Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Benoit Callebaut <be...@euphonynet.be> on 2005/12/23 23:53:50 UTC

[vfs] hard coded stuff in properties file

Hi,
I am integrating VFS and the FileTag of Jelly.
I am actually writing test case for this.

In the main VFS
properties file, there are hard-coded things like IP address and test
account.
It is not portable across systems. I have to change them on my system.
I have no real idea to change this (jelly interactive tag library is not
usable for automated build).
Maybe split the machine dependent stuff in an other property file and
put a note in a README file ?

Benoit

Re: [vfs] hard coded stuff in properties file

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!
> To do that, I need to reproduce the test environment on my system at
> home. I have a dedicated personal server that is not yet fully
> configured and I don't have WMWare. I need to configure my server anyway
> so if I can configure it to run Apache tests it is even better for me.

I've already tried to document how to setup a testserver, you might find
it here: http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/vfs/testserver.html
In case of vmware please keep in mind that there is a vmware-player for
free where you can drop in my vmware image and have a testserver up and
running without any hassle.
I can send you the informations needed to download the image if wanted.

> * VFS is part of the GUMP build process right ?

Yes.
> * If so, if I use the same properties in the Jelly project to test my
> VFS related stuff, there must be no problem (system is already
> configured)

No, the tests are disabled. None of the automatic build processes are
able to run these tests due to the lack of a testserver.
I already asked to find a way to get my vmware image up and running
within apache, but without luck for now.
> * To test my tests can somebody send me the information to setup a
> compatible build environment ?
Again: http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/vfs/testserver.html
I dont know if someone else tried to setup such an environment based on
this documentation. If you have any problem please contact me, I'll
complete the documentation then.
> * Do I need to use GUMP to be sure that I don't introduce odd problems ?

I dont understand what you mean with this?
I use my IDE and/or maven to build and test VFS.

> Merry Christmas an Happy new year to

... you too :-)

Ciao,
Mario

Re: [vfs] hard coded stuff in properties file

Posted by Benoit Callebaut <be...@euphonynet.be>.
Hello Mario,
Paul Libbrecht from the Jelly team asked me to write complete unit tests
to for my changes. He suggested to write tests for every protocol.

To do that, I need to reproduce the test environment on my system at
home. I have a dedicated personal server that is not yet fully
configured and I don't have WMWare. I need to configure my server anyway
so if I can configure it to run Apache tests it is even better for me.

Here I quoted the remarck of Paul
"That seems annoying to insert yet another dependence, or ?
Services for the test ? Would that run with gump ?
"
To try to answer to those questions, I have some questions:

* VFS is part of the GUMP build process right ?

* If so, if I use the same properties in the Jelly project to test my
VFS related stuff, there must be no problem (system is already
configured)

* To test my tests can somebody send me the information to setup a
compatible build environment ?

* Do I need to use GUMP to be sure that I don't introduce odd problems ?

Merry Christmas an Happy new year to all of you !

Benoit.

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!