Posted to dev@mxnet.apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org> on 2017/07/06 06:23:45 UTC

ZeroMQ licensing in Apache MXNet

One of the items that is on the list to do before releasing Apache MXNet is
removing ZeroMQ from the codebase/dependencies.

ZeroMQ is licensed under the LGPL 3.0 with an exception for static
compiling.

They have long been interested in relicensing to MPL 2.0, but haven't made
much progress, though they did relicense JeroMQ (Java
wrapper/implementaiton) last year.

In the last few months they've made a lot of progress towards relicensing:
https://github.com/zeromq/libzmq/tree/master/RELICENSE

I'd like to ask on legal-discuss@ for an exception (one year?) to continue
using ZeroMQ, with prominent documentation, in MXNet given the trend
towards MPL 2.0.

Any concerns before I do so?

Thanks,

Hen

Re: ZeroMQ licensing in Apache MXNet

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Greg Stein wrote on 7/6/17 4:01 AM:
> On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 1:23 AM, Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to ask on legal-discuss@ for an exception (one year?) to continue
>> using ZeroMQ, with prominent documentation, in MXNet given the trend
>> towards MPL 2.0.
>>

> I'm not super cozy with the idea of explicit exceptions to licensing
> issues. Forward progress mitigates that a bit.

I'm not cozy either.  And you've confirmed crystal-clear that the
exception is clearly valid in this use case and that users won't somehow
believe (or need to act) as if the reciprocal clauses in the Zero*
software would apply to the podling's release?

> Are there other libraries that could be used, should ZeroMQ *not* get
> itself relicensed? In other words, could there be a simultaneous move
> towards two options: new library, or a relicensed zeromq?
>

>> Any concerns before I do so?
>>

> I'd say: no graduation, until solved, regardless of whether an exception is
> provided.

Agreed.  Including LGPL code in any Apache product release is not a good
idea immaterial of any explicit exceptions.  Merely because the
exception may technically make it legally compliant is not the point;
end-users will be surprised to see anything *GPL* in Apache products.

--

- Shane
  https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/resources

Re: ZeroMQ licensing in Apache MXNet

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Phil Sorber <so...@apache.org>.
What about nanomsg? It's supposed to be a functional replacement for
ZeroMQ, has C++ bindings available and is MIT licensed.

http://nanomsg.org/documentation-zeromq.html

Posted by Felix Cheung <fe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Sure. As I noted "optional at compile-time", and it certainly looks that
way.

We just don't want to force downstream users to get adversely-licensed
products just to build our software. And MXNET_USE_DIST_KVSTORE meets that
requirement.

Cheers,
-g

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dominic Divakaruni <do...@gmail.com>.

--

Dominic Divakaruni
206.475.9200 Cell

Re: ZeroMQ licensing in Apache MXNet

Posted by Felix Cheung <fe...@apache.org>.
Ah all good then.

Posted by Dominic Divakaruni <do...@gmail.com>.

--

Dominic Divakaruni
206.475.9200 Cell

Re: ZeroMQ licensing in Apache MXNet

Posted by Mu Li <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mu Li <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Felix Cheung <fe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Felix Cheung <fe...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Mu,

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Mu,

Posted by Mu Li <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mu Li <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mu Li <mu...@gmail.com>.
It's optional for MXNet to use ZeroMQ. Even if it is enabled, the source
codes of MXNet will not contain any codes from ZeroMQ except for
"include<zmq.h>" and calling zeromq's APIs. But if we want to ship the
binary, it will link against libzeromq.a

Posted by Mu Li <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Hen,

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
I think that the goals are really quite different.

But I don't know about Artemis very much.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Hen,

Re: Rcpp licensing in Apache MXNet

Posted by Qiang Kou <qk...@umail.iu.edu>.
On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 12:59 PM, Felix Cheung <fe...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Awesome - Rcpp11 is MIT license.
>
> Would Rcpp be up for relicensing

Personally, I don't think Rcpp will be relicensed.

> or would Rcpp11 be have in the roadmap required features to match Rcpp?

I don't know their plan. However, from their github page (
https://github.com/Rcpp11/Rcpp11), the development is not active now.

Best,

KK

--
Qiang Kou
qkou@umail.iu.edu

Re: Rcpp licensing in Apache MXNet

Posted by Felix Cheung <fe...@hotmail.com>.
Awesome - Rcpp11 is MIT license.

Would Rcpp be up for relicensing or would Rcpp11 be have in the roadmap required features to match Rcpp?

Actually, would you need help for Rcpp11? :)

_____________________________
Posted by Qiang Kou <qk...@umail.iu.edu>.

Posted by Anirudh Acharya <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Steffen,

We had a similar discussion with a legal team in Amazon, and we made this
PR - https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/12559 to fix the
licensing issues in the R-package.

I think the R-package should be good to include in the release, but we
should try to get a confirmation once again before we do include it.

Thanks
Anirudh

Posted by Steffen Rochel <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Qiang Kou <qk...@umail.iu.edu>.
Hi, Naveen,

Posted by Naveen Swamy <mn...@gmail.com>.
Ly,

Posted by Ly Nguyen <ng...@gmail.com>.
Hey KK,

Posted by Qiang Kou <qk...@umail.iu.edu>.
Hi, Ly,

Posted by Ly Nguyen <ng...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Qiang Kou <qk...@umail.iu.edu>.
Thank you for the info.

Posted by Felix Cheung <fe...@hotmail.com>.
I was only referring to string_hash_code.c - it's not being built and it's not part of the binaries release.

There are two parts to it.

For Spark binaries release, R package is built and the output is packaged along with the rest of all jars  and python stuff.

There is also a source-only R package that we want to publish to CRAN. This contains only R source (no java stuff). CRAN will then build cross platform from that source - but again the part with string_hash_code.c is disabled.

Posted by Qiang Kou <qk...@umail.iu.edu>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.

Posted by Qiang Kou <qk...@umail.iu.edu>.
Really thank you for the clearance.