Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Richard Hobbs <ri...@crl.toshiba.co.uk> on 2007/03/01 11:52:03 UTC

Re: sa-update doesn't exist on my system

Hello,

Replies inline...

Gary V wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> > If some work and some don't I suspect this could possibly
>> > be a timeout issue.
>>
>> It is a timeout... see my message at 09:30 GMT this morning...

>> 421 SMTP incoming data timeout - message abandoned
>
> While it's not clear to me what process produced this message, I would
> assume it's EXIM's reply to the sender.

That is correct. That is the response the sender received from exim.

>> As for crashing out due to a possible time limit, how could i check
>> this? surely such a feature would be built into spamassassin, right?
>>

> I'm guessing here (because I have never used EXIM) but does EXIM set a
> default time limit on sa_router: or sa_spamcheck: ?

Not sure... i'll find out from the exim mailing list.

>> AFAIK, this is a standard debian sarge box, with exim installed and
>> configured, and not much else done to it. I could be wrong, but this is
>> most likely the case.
>>
>> Also, with regards to --local, what does this do, and how can i actually
>> run it this way?
>>
>> Thanks again,
>> Richard.
>>

> It disables network tests. I believe you can edit
> /etc/default/spamassassin and add it to the list of OPTIONS, e.g.:
>
> OPTIONS="--local --create-prefs --max-children 5 --helper-home-dir"
>
> then restart spamd
> /etc/init.d/spamassassin restart

You said in your other email that "since the --local option disables net
tests, SA may pass a lot more spam". Does this mean it will think a lot
of legit email is spam, whereas before it knew it was legit?

Thanks again,
Richard.

--
Richard Hobbs (Systems Administrator)
Toshiba Research Europe Ltd. - Speech Technology Group

Re: sa-update doesn't exist on my system

Posted by Gary V <mr...@hotmail.com>.
>Hello,
>
>Quick question... This is a snippet from the exim mailing list:
>
> > The routers and transports seem fine. However, a quick check
> > through a FreeBSD Spamassassin change log does reveal that a
> > bug was introduced that gave problems with Exim, Spamassassin
> > and BSMTP:
> >
> > http://pkgsrc.se/mail/spamassassin
> > (bug 4966 in their numbering scheme)
> >
> > I'd check with the Debian package maintainers that this bug
> > has been fixed in the release they've put out.
>
>So... do you think i'm suffering this bug? The URL above indicates that
>it was fixed in 3.1.4, but am i suffering what looks like that bug, do
>you think?
>
>I'm still waiting to hear about the possible timeout setting in the exim
>config.
>
>Trouble is, with testing, if it goes wrong again, email is returned to
>the sender, and for people like my manager etc... this is unacceptable.
>
>Unfortunately, we do not have a test environment at the moment, so if i
>do make a change, i need to be as certain as i can be that it will fix
>the problem :-(
>
>Thanks again people...
>Richard.

Not being familiar with Exim4 I'm not sure what to suggest. The Debian
version of SA should have that patch applied. I saw no recent Exim related
bug reports on the Debian spamassassin page (but you may have discovered a
new bug). Just curious, what CPU/hardware are you running and how many
messages per day? I will mention that it is possible to downgrade back to
the stable (3.0.x) version of spamassassin provided you have not installed
programs (like FuzzyOcr) that depend on a 3.1.x version. Even if you did
install something like FuzzyOcr you could simply remove it. I doubt you have
made any incompatible changes to local.cf so there should be no reason you
couldn't keep your current files (/etc/default/spamassassin and
/etc/spamassassin/local.cf).
# apt-get install spamassassin/stable
# apt-get install spamc/stable
but only as a last resort. This worked for me on a test system - YMMV.
Yeah, a test box would come in handy here. Is anyone else out there using
this setup successfully?

Gary V

Find what you need at prices you’ll love. Compare products and save at MSNŽ
Shopping.
http://shopping.msn.com/default/shp/?ptnrid=37,ptnrdata=24102&tcode=T001MSN20A0701

Re: sa-update doesn't exist on my system

Posted by Richard Hobbs <ri...@crl.toshiba.co.uk>.
Hello,

Posted by Adam Wilbraham <ad...@technophobia.com>.