Posted to general@james.apache.org by "JLAudioFan (sent by Nabble.com)" <li...@nabble.com> on 2005/09/29 19:22:19 UTC

config.xml corrupt upon extraction??

Hello, trying to get james working.  I've had a hell of a time finding any useful information about installation...  Here goes:

I'm using apache 1.3.3 on windows xp pro, sp1

I finally managed to get phoenix to extract the james.sar file, and when I go into the config.xml file to edit the dns, etc, the bottom half of the file (everything under the closing fetchmail tag) looks like this:

   �??�? �??�? �??�? �??�? �?  �??�? �?  �? �?� �?�? �? �? �??�? �?  �??�? �? �? �? �?�⹧灡捡�?�樮浡獥琮�?�獮潰�?�洮楡�?�獴 �??�? �?  �??�? �?

Any Idea why this might be happening?  I've also notice that all text files have no newlines in them.  I've been downloading everything with firefox, it should know what to download in ascii and binary, correct?

So when I try to execute run.bat I get a whole slew of errors:

C:\james\phoenix-bin\bin>run
Using PHOENIX_HOME:   C:\james\phoenix-bin
Using PHOENIX_TMPDIR: C:\james\phoenix-bin\temp
Using JAVA_HOME:      C:\Progra~1\Java\jre1.5.0_04

Phoenix 4.0.1

There was an uncaught exception:
--- Message ---
Error building configuration from file:/C:/james/phoenix-bin/apps/james/SAR-INF/
config.xml.
--- Stack Trace ---
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.interfaces.DeploymentException: Error building configu
ration from file:/C:/james/phoenix-bin/apps/james/SAR-INF/config.xml.
        at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.deployer.DefaultDeployer.getConf
igurationFor(DefaultDeployer.java:499)
        at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.deployer.DefaultDeployer.deploy(
DefaultDeployer.java:325)
        at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.embeddor.DefaultEmbeddor.deployF
ile(DefaultEmbeddor.java:498)
        at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.embeddor.DefaultEmbeddor.deployF
ile(DefaultEmbeddor.java:491)
        at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.embeddor.DefaultEmbeddor.deployF
iles(DefaultEmbeddor.java:476)
        at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.embeddor.DefaultEmbeddor.deployD
efaultApplications(DefaultEmbeddor.java:466)
        at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.embeddor.DefaultEmbeddor.execute
(DefaultEmbeddor.java:224)
        at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.frontends.CLIMain.run(CLIMain.java:158)
        at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.frontends.CLIMain.execute(CLIMain.java:144)

        at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.frontends.CLIMain.main(CLIMain.java:102)
        at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.launcher.Main.startup(Main.java:94)
        at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:46)
Caused by: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Attribute "class" was already specifie
d for element "account".
        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(AbstractSAXParser.j
ava:1183)
        at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.tools.configuration.ConfigurationBuilder.bu
ild(ConfigurationBuilder.java:129)
        at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.tools.configuration.ConfigurationBuilder.bu
ild(ConfigurationBuilder.java:116)
        at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.tools.configuration.ConfigurationBuilder.bu
ild(ConfigurationBuilder.java:97)
        at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.deployer.DefaultDeployer.getConf
igurationFor(DefaultDeployer.java:493)
        ... 15 more
rethrown from
[...]

The log file may contain further details of error.
Please check the configuration files and restart Phoenix.
If the problem persists, contact the Avalon project.  See
http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon for more information.
Shutting down Phoenix.
C:\james\phoenix-bin\bin

Help!!! Please!!

Jason
--
Sent from the James - General forum at Nabble.com:
http://www.nabble.com/config.xml-corrupt-upon-extraction--t359303.html#a994853

R: config.xml corrupt upon extraction??

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
> I just downlaoded the james.sar file with IE, and when
> extracted the config.xml file is still the same garbage after
> the closing fetchmail tag.

james.sar from where??
The download page for James is: http://james.apache.org/download.cgi

You can see 2 binary distribution: james-2.2.0.tar.gz and  james-2.2.0.zip

You should start there
Stefano

Re: config.xml corrupt upon extraction??

Posted by "JLAudioFan (sent by Nabble.com)" <li...@nabble.com>.
http://www.nabble.com/config.xml-corrupt-upon-extraction--t359303.html#a995177

Re: config.xml corrupt upon extraction??

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
> I think I got everything working.  I just need to figure out
> what mail server settings to use in thunderbird.  Do you
> configure this somewhere (I.E. mail.domainname.com or
> pop.domainname.com)??

You simply have to use the same name/ip you use to reach your James machine
from the network.
If you want to use mail.domainname.com or pop.domainname.com you have to
change the DNS for domainname.com adding the 2 "IN A" lines for the domain.
You will also want to add the MX pointers to the DNS if you want mail for
domainname.com to be directed to that machine.

Stefano

PS: you should use the "user" mailing list and not the "general" for this
kind of issues, please reply there if needed.

Re: config.xml corrupt upon extraction??

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@gmail.com>.
This is the wrong place for these questions, you will get *much
better* response from server-user@james.apache.org.

see http://james.apache.org/mail.html

d.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
> Phoenix 4.0.1
>
> *****
>
> Is anything else supposed to happen?

Yes, you should see the services loaded and the binded port under the
"Phoenix 4.0.1" line.

Posted by "JLAudioFan (sent by Nabble.com)" <li...@nabble.com>.
>You simply need to download a binary distribution from the official site:
>http://james.apache.org/download.cgi

Okay, got that downloaded.  Extracted everything to james dir, ran run.bat, config.xml looks good, i changed my nameservers to the right ip.

Now when i run run.bat, this is what I see.

****
C:\james\james-2.2.0\bin>run
Using PHOENIX_HOME:   C:\james\james-2.2.0
Using PHOENIX_TMPDIR: C:\james\james-2.2.0\temp

http://www.nabble.com/config.xml-corrupt-upon-extraction--t359303.html#a995698

Re: config.xml corrupt upon extraction??

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
> First I downloaded the file:
> http://www.reverse.net/pub/apache/james/james-with-phoenix-2.2
> .0-src.zip
> this is a mirror listed on apache.org

That is a SRC file. You need to build it and make a distro.

> I added the JAVA_HOME variable to windows so phoenix/james
> know where to find java.
>
> I tried to run the run.bat file in the james/src/script
> folder, but it couldn't find phoenix-loader file.  So, i went
> back to the apache site and downloaded
> http://www.reverse.net/pub/apache/james/binaries/james.sar
> placed this file in the "james/phoenix-bin/apps" directory,
> and executed james/phoenix-bin/bin/run.bat

james.sar is only a part of James. It is the core component but you need the
container for it.
You simply need to download a binary distribution from the official site:
http://james.apache.org/download.cgi

Download this, for example:
http://apache.markoer.org/james/james-2.2.0.zip

Posted by "JLAudioFan (sent by Nabble.com)" <li...@nabble.com>.
>What file did you download for James, from where?
>Can you describe all the steps you have done (download url, decompression
>software, run command, file editor used)...?

First I downloaded the file:
http://www.reverse.net/pub/apache/james/james-with-phoenix-2.2.0-src.zip
this is a mirror listed on apache.org

I added the JAVA_HOME variable to windows so phoenix/james know where to find java.

I tried to run the run.bat file in the james/src/script folder, but it couldn't find phoenix-loader file.  So, i went back to the apache site and downloaded
http://www.reverse.net/pub/apache/james/binaries/james.sar
placed this file in the "james/phoenix-bin/apps" directory, and executed james/phoenix-bin/bin/run.bat

This extracted the files as the documentation said it would, then i closed phoenix so i could edit the config.xml (I opened the file just to look at it, and saw all the scrambled stuff at the bottom).  I tried to run run.bat again, and got the errors i listed above.

I have no idea if I did any of this right!
--
Sent from the James - General forum at Nabble.com:
http://www.nabble.com/config.xml-corrupt-upon-extraction--t359303.html#a995304

Re: config.xml corrupt upon extraction??

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
> >What are you using "apache 1.3.3"  for?
> \
> I'm using apache 1.3.33 because everytime I try to install
> apache 2.0.54 on my machine, the installation hangs at the
> end and never completes.  1.3.33 actually installs.  I am
> trying this on a fresh install of windows xp.

Apache James does not require Apache HTTPD and viceversa.

Posted by "JLAudioFan (sent by Nabble.com)" <li...@nabble.com>.

http://www.nabble.com/config.xml-corrupt-upon-extraction--t359303.html#a995026

Re: config.xml corrupt upon extraction??

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.