Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Jayanand K <ja...@yahoo.com> on 2001/03/26 16:35:20 UTC

Query on xerces-c_1_1 parser

Hi,

I am using the xerces-c_1_1 parser in a VC++
application. I have certain doubts to be clarified.
Hope you could help  me out.

1. Does xerces-c_1_1 support encoding="UTF-16" ?
   Because I tried this encoding and results were
negative.

2. If NO, does any of the later versions support this
encoding ?

3. Are there any characters in any languages (either
European or Japanese etc..) which are not covered even
under UTF-16 encoding?

4. If YES, then is there a way available to parse such
characters properly using xerces-c parser ?

Eagerly expecting for the answers,

Thanks & Regards,
Jayanand.

Re: Query on xerces-c_1_1 parser

Posted by John Snelson <jp...@decisionsoft.com>.
And for completeness sake, to answer your 3rd question, the Unicode spec
tries to be as all-encompassing as possible with it's encoding.
New characters are always being introduced into it, but they tend to be
of the more obscure variety. I reckon you'll never need a character that
isn't in the unicode spec (which goes for utf-8 and utf-16).

John Snelson

Jayanand K wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using the xerces-c_1_1 parser in a VC++
> application. I have certain doubts to be clarified.
> Hope you could help  me out.
>
> 1. Does xerces-c_1_1 support encoding="UTF-16" ?
>    Because I tried this encoding and results were
> negative.
>
> 2. If NO, does any of the later versions support this
> encoding ?
>
> 3. Are there any characters in any languages (either
> European or Japanese etc..) which are not covered even
> under UTF-16 encoding?
>
> 4. If YES, then is there a way available to parse such
> characters properly using xerces-c parser ?
>
> Eagerly expecting for the answers,
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Jayanand.

John Snelson, Software Engineer       DecisionSoft Ltd.
Telephone: +44-1865-203192            http://www.decisionsoft.com

Re: Query on xerces-c_1_1 parser

Posted by Bill Schindler <de...@bitranch.com>.
> 1. Does xerces-c_1_1 support encoding="UTF-16" ?
>    Because I tried this encoding and results were
> negative.

Try adding the endian -- "UTF-16LE" (for little endian) or "UTF-16BE"
(for big endian).

If I remember correctly, some UTF-16 related bugs were fixed recently.
Xerces 1.4 is probably a better all-around choice in any case, since
there have been a _lot_ of bug fixes and enhancements since 1.1.

--Bill