Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Matthias Fechner <id...@fechner.net> on 2005/07/27 13:41:52 UTC

Tagging a directory

Hi,

i tried today to tag a directory from my repository, but it seems,
that something fails but at the copy it says everthing is fine.

I did the following command:
svn copy svn+ssh://user@host/path/rep/trunk/aopbmk
svn+ssh://user@host/path/rep/tags/release-0.1/ -m "desc"

It says commited revision ...

now i go to my local dir a tried to execute svn update, to get the
tagged version, but i get the errormessage:
svn: Working copy '.' locked
svn: run 'svn cleanup' to remove locks (type 'svn help cleanup' for
details)

I did a svn cleanup, but i get the following errormessage:
svn: In directory 'tags\release-0.1\src'
svn: Can't open file 'tags\release-0.1\src\.svn\tmp\text-base\Doxyfile.svn-base'
: The system cannot find the file specified.

What is wrong here?

--
Bye
Matthias

Re: Tagging a directory

Posted by Matthias Fechner <id...@fechner.net>.
Hello Scott,

* Scott Palmer <sc...@2connected.org> [27-07-05 16:29]:
> Sounds like what happens when there is a mixed-case issue with a file
> name.  I see from teh backslashes that you are on Windows where the
> filesystem is not case sensitive.  Check the filenames in the repo
> with 'svn ls URL' to make sure that there are no files that differ
> only by case.  (e.g. Doxyfile and DoxyFile)

at home under linux it is working fine and svn ls URL says, that there
is a file Doxyfile in the right place.

I will try to reproduce this on monday at work with my windows machine.

Ah i found now, that something was wrong in the tagging, maybe a fault
of my command.
I have the following structure:
branches
tags
trunk
 aopbmk
  include
  src
  test
 code
 manual
 and a lot of directories and files

At the tagging i want to tag the aopbmk directory with all
subdirectories to tags/realease-0.1.

Im not sure what command i executed but i thing it was:
svn copy svn+ssh://user@host/dir/repo/trunk/aopbmk
svn+ssh://user@host/dir/repo/tags/release-0.1

and it seems, that something here goes wrong.
I have in tags/release-0.1 the following structure now:
aopbmk
 include
 src
 test
include
src
test

it seems, that svn copied the directories to tags/release-0.1/aopbmk
and tags/release-0.1/.

What is here the right command, to tag it correctly and can i easily
delete the wrong directories in release-0.1?

I dont want to blow up my repository.

--
Bye
Matthias

Re: Tagging a directory

Posted by Scott Palmer <sc...@2connected.org>.
On 27-Jul-05, at 9:41 AM, Matthias Fechner wrote:

> now i go to my local dir a tried to execute svn update, to get the
> tagged version, but i get the errormessage:
> svn: Working copy '.' locked
> svn: run 'svn cleanup' to remove locks (type 'svn help cleanup' for
> details)
>
> I did a svn cleanup, but i get the following errormessage:
> svn: In directory 'tags\release-0.1\src'
> svn: Can't open file 'tags\release-0.1\src\.svn\tmp\text-base
> \Doxyfile.svn-base'
> : The system cannot find the file specified.
>
> What is wrong here?

Sounds like what happens when there is a mixed-case issue with a file
name.  I see from teh backslashes that you are on Windows where the
filesystem is not case sensitive.  Check the filenames in the repo
with 'svn ls URL' to make sure that there are no files that differ
only by case.  (e.g. Doxyfile and DoxyFile)

Scott

Re: Tagging a directory

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
On 7/27/05, Matthias Fechner <id...@fechner.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i tried today to tag a directory from my repository, but it seems,
> that something fails but at the copy it says everthing is fine.
>
> I did the following command:
> svn copy svn+ssh://user@host/path/rep/trunk/aopbmk
> svn+ssh://user@host/path/rep/tags/release-0.1/ -m "desc"
>
> It says commited revision ...

Do an:

$ svn ls svn+ssh://user@host/path/rep/tags/release-0.1

and see if this lists your release. If not, try:

$ svn ls svn+ssh://user@host/path/rep/tags

and see if your tag is there.

I bet you'll see it there. If not, then something happened to "svn copy".

You're not too clear how you're attempting to see the new tag you've
just created. Do you have the sequence of commands? Are you trying to
checkout the tag release-0.1 into your current working directory? That
might be the problem. Try checking out the tag into a new working
directory and see if you have the same problem.

> now i go to my local dir a tried to execute svn update, to get the
> tagged version, but i get the errormessage:
> svn: Working copy '.' locked
> svn: run 'svn cleanup' to remove locks (type 'svn help cleanup' for
> details)
>
> I did a svn cleanup, but i get the following errormessage:
> svn: In directory 'tags\release-0.1\src'
> svn: Can't open file 'tags\release-0.1\src\.svn\tmp\text-base\Doxyfile.svn-base'
> : The system cannot find the file specified.
>
> What is wrong here?

-
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com