Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Stephen Watt <sw...@us.ibm.com> on 2010/08/24 18:39:58 UTC

August Austin Hadoop User Group Meeting

Hi Folks

For those in the Austin, Texas area we'll be meeting again this Thursday
evening (8/26). Karmasphere and Pentaho will be presenting and I'll also
be giving a quick introduction to Hadoop for all the new attendees before
we begin.

Full details are available here -
http://austinhug.blogspot.com/2010/08/august-meeting-826.html

Regards
Steve Watt

From:
Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>
To:
general@hadoop.apache.org
Date:
08/24/2010 05:25 AM
Re: apache commons configuration

On 24/08/10 10:43, Thomas Koch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just out of curiosity: Is there any particular reason, why Hadoop
projects or
> ZooKeeper do not use apache commons configuration[1]?
> I'm just evaluating it for an internal project. Would you recommend it
or not?
> I imagine, that it could help to make projects configurable either via
XML or
> INI files. Some people may prefer one or the other.
>
> [1] http://commons.apache.org/configuration/

Someone's discussed it, I'm against because (a) there's a lot of
historical configuration stuff in there, (b) ini files are less flexible
than XML, (c) neither of them are very dynamic. when the NN goes down
and you want the DNs to reconnect to a different host, how do you do
that when all data is read at start time?

SXSW Interactive Big Data Panel Session - Community Votes required

Posted by Stephen Watt <sw...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi Folks

15,000 people attended SXSW Interactive last year. As such, a couple of
folks from the Apache Hadoop and Cassandra community have joined up to put
together a "Big Data for everyone" panel at SXSW next year. The intent is
to proselytize both the Online and Offline Big Data stack (incl. HBase,
Pig, Hive, etc.) to the as yet uninformed. There are no agendas here other
than getting the word out and educating the audience.

Acceptance to SXSW is partially democratic and community votes for the
session greatly affect the outcome.

If you have a few minutes, please sign up and vote for our panel. We'd
really appreciate it. Voting closes on Friday.

http://panelpicker.sxsw.com/ideas/view/7475

Regards
Steve Watt