Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Steven Punte <st...@yahoo.com> on 2002/08/18 18:52:52 UTC

IS an XSP Transformer Possible?

In the cocoon environment, XSP provides a great
way of address problems that don't fit into
the paradigm of an existing generator.

However, XSP can only be used at the first
step in a pipeline.

I find myself writing lots of custom transformers
to address issues that don't fit into any
of the existing standard generators.

Would there be a way to write an XSP Transformer?
How about we call this "XST" for now.  Some of
it's characteristics would be:

o  A conventional transformer class would exits.
o  In a pipeline, one would specify the above
     transformer and a particular xst file.
o  The xst file would be compile automatically
     when needed.
o  A basic internal design would simply allow
     hooks to the various SAX events (i.e. start and
     end of element and document).
o  Output events could be nicely written as in xsp
     like "<yada><xst:expr>string</xst:expr></yada>"
o  Perhaps a more a more interesting internal
     model would come with a stack to facilitate
     more complex processing.

Steve Punte
Candlelight Software

HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com

Re: IS an XSP Transformer Possible?

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Steven Punte wrote:
> In the cocoon environment, XSP provides a great
> way of address problems that don't fit into
> the paradigm of an existing generator.
>
> However, XSP can only be used at the first
> step in a pipeline.
>
> I find myself writing lots of custom transformers
> to address issues that don't fit into any
> of the existing standard generators.
>
> Would there be a way to write an XSP Transformer?
> How about we call this "XST" for now.  Some of
> it's characteristics would be:

I had started myself to write such a Transformer, but then I just didn't
have enough energy and motivation to continue.
If you want, I can give you some sugestions:

> o  A conventional transformer class would exits.

XSTTransformer, from which all XSTTransformers extend.

> o  In a pipeline, one would specify the above
>      transformer and a particular xst file.

Ok.

> o  The xst file would be compile automatically
>      when needed.

Ok. There is a system in Cocoon that can make you do this, look in the
sourcecode.

> o  A basic internal design would simply allow
>      hooks to the various SAX events (i.e. start and
>      end of element and document).
 > o  Perhaps a more a more interesting internal
 >      model would come with a stack to facilitate
 >      more complex processing.

I wrote this thing but it was complicated to debug, since there were no
tools at that time to make code easier.
If I would do it now, I would look at Jakarta Commons Digester, which
has an XML descriptor that specifies what to do for certain conditions
and can be used to do just that.

> o  Output events could be nicely written as in xsp
>      like "<yada><xst:expr>string</xst:expr></yada>"

Each output could simply be a call to am XSP Generator that does not
close the Document.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: IS an XSP Transformer Possible?

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Steven Punte wrote:

>In the cocoon environment, XSP provides a great
>way of address problems that don't fit into
>the paradigm of an existing generator.
>
>However, XSP can only be used at the first
>step in a pipeline.
>
>I find myself writing lots of custom transformers
>to address issues that don't fit into any
>of the existing standard generators.
>
>Would there be a way to write an XSP Transformer?
>How about we call this "XST" for now.

I have prototype working, I named it XSPT. Did not had time to complete.

I was thinking to implement XSPT on top of STX language
(http://stx.gingerall.cz/stx/).

Vadim