Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Denis DEBARBIEUX <dd...@norsys.fr> on 2015/05/28 09:46:52 UTC

Throughput : local mode is faster than cluster mode

Dear all,

I measured the performance of my topology written in pure storm (no
trident). I compared it in local mode and then in cluster. The two
experiements were done on the same single server (deployed with docker
in cluster configuration). The result was that *the local mode is 20
times faster than in cluster configuration.*

I am surprised about it. What could I do to improve the performance on
the cluster?

Thanks for your help.

D. Debarbieux

---

Re: Throughput : local mode is faster than cluster mode

Posted by Denis DEBARBIEUX <dd...@norsys.fr>.
Dear all,

I investiguated a little more. I guess that the partitionBy primitive
impacts a lot my performance since my data are not well balanced (70% of
my tuples are assigned to a single task). It looks like the cluster mode
takes many  time to root the data.

Denis

Posted by Jeffery Maass <ma...@gmail.com>.
Denis:

Posted by Denis DEBARBIEUX <dd...@norsys.fr>.
Thanks for your help.

Posted by Jeffery Maass <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Leung <nc...@gmail.com>.
It's hard to help without any details about what you did. I have not seen
local mode outperform cluster mode by this factor, especially if it's all
on one server, so more information would help determine what is going on.